Fire!!

splash1914

I had this in the aggressive section first and realized it should be in photography section: this was my tank I set up last year at my work that went up in flames early friday morning (thanksgiving break)

splash1914

another view... this was shot from our surveillance cameras... sorry for the poor quality but, I had to do screen prints and then resize them to fit..

splash1914

the tank was 300 gallons, the fire started from a short in the lights.... not one fish died! the video showed the first few sparks then smoke then the blaze... we still have a 150 in the media center!!!

the claw

Holy Cow! That would have torched the average househould. THat's Scary. OK now I not only have a generator on my wish list, now I need a overhead sprinkler system installed.
I'm glad that your situation wasn't any worse.

lovethesea

Oh my gosh....not one fish? Amazing! I would have thought that the water would have been boiling, but obviously the sprinkler system did its job. :)

D

daniel411

:eek: Forget the aquarium and fish! I'm just thankful your children, family, home didn't burn down!
Thats the scariest thing in this hobby to me.

fender

Makes me think a fire alarm mounted close to the tank is a good idea....
New project for the weekend. :D

splash1914

Fender: the tank was a total loss. most of the damage was from the sprinkler system. luckily the sprinkler system is designed to only have water come out where the fire is....so no other sprinkler heads went off... but the sprinkler was running for about 45 minutes which flooded 1/4 of the bottom half of the school! We had about 50 people with wet/dry vacs sucking all the water out... then we had a professional crew come in to dehumidify the place.....
Daniel411: this was at my work, luckily noone was in the building at the time of the fire..
I am now buying a smoke detector above my home tank!

eric4usa

I'm lining my entire canopy with UL listed foil tape to make it highly reflective.
After seeing this thread I realized that the foil tape will make it fire resistant also.
I would reccomend using foil tape on your next canopy.