Firefish in a school

sduerk

I like the look of firefish. Everything that I have read makes them a good addition to a reef tank. Does anyone have a problem with three normal firefish. I've read, on this site, that the fish will fight if there are only two of them.

jacksonpt

I have no personal experience with them, but both LFS I go to have many of them in the same tank together. I've never noticed any harm, but then again, I don't sit and watch them like I do my fish. I have noticed that they don't seem to 'school' like other fish do (i.e. chromis).
HTH

I have 2 firefish in my tank but i was told that to not have more than 3 because they could fight plus i dont recommend 3 because if 2 of them mate then the other guy is screwed lol. but my 2 get along great i love them they were the first editions to my tank with a sixline wrasse.
Jay

jeg

I decided on Firefish as the first fish for my 37gal reef. I was only going to get one, but the guy at the LFS and some research told me that they are better in 2 or 3. I ended up getting 3. One is a little more timid than the other 2 most of the time, but then sometimes they are all out swimming together. We'll see how it goes!

alianated

Once again we have different places saying different things.
I have kept 3 before.
But my pet store told me (And this is the ONLY pet store that has proven to know his stuff OVER and OVER) that they arent as good in pairs, and that 3 or more is good. It makes no sense to say that you cant have more than 3 cause I cant remember the last time a pet store I went to had 2 or 3 only in their tank. And I have never seen them fighting.

vkesu

Many fish stores don't have trouble because they put so many fish into the tanks that the fish have no room to create their own territory. (Not reccommended). They are also not there for life, only a short time hopefully. :)

kung fu

That's a good point...I had a guy in a lfs from another town nearby comment...
"Keep in mind that we get this stuff wholesale..."
Yikes!!!
Peace...