Firefish temperament

dacia

My new firefish seems to be afraid of just about everything. He is very skiddish and hides from me when I look at him in his new home. I know he is healthy, though, and the water quality is good (or I would not have put him in there).
Is this normal behavior for this fish?

Y

yae4volcom

Mine is doing the exact same thing and I have not seen any of him except his little head poking out.

blackfish

I disagree wih ahve one of such a shy and retiring fish in any size setup! In a stup of this size the firefish should be sort of a "centerpeice" fish and all of the other fish should be planned around that!

steve40

They'll come out in a week or two. Mine stayed hidden away for a while, they mainly swam in the exact spot in the tank everyday. I guess one day they just decided to leave the tank cause they jumped out. They are pretty impulsive fish if you ask me. Mine never really got picked on so I dont think thats why they decided to leave the community.

dacia

I have not noticed him eating yet becuase he does not swim to the top to get the food. However, a lot of the food falls behind the rocks anyway, so it probably floats right down to him.
Right now he is the only fish in the tank. In a month I am adding a royal gramma, and a month after that a maroon clownfish. I know the clown will come out, but is the gramma skiddish like the firefish? Maybe after a while he will make friends with the new fish and come out more. Maybe next year when I add the corals he will explore the rocks around them and I will see him more. :)

lovethesea

Our first firefish was very shy in the beginning. After about a week he came out. BUT I will warn you they are very skittish.
They are jumpers. Spike ended up in my sons lap one day. I was able to put him back in the tank . Once we got "spike" a friend "alfalpha" they are little more calm. :D Now they are very fun to watch together.

wrassecal

Dacia, the royal gramma is likely to set up a territory of it's own. They may also hide a lot when first introduced to a tank. They tend to like to hide in crevices and bolt into a "hole" for sleeping. They are aggressive to other fish entering their territory and tend to posture and open their mouths really wide in an aggressive stance. I think of them as darters, always darting in and out of the rocks and holes in their area. I loved watching mine. Sometimes I'd be looking at the tank and notice a purple head sticking out of a hole. Very cool fish but, quite possibly would harrass the more timid firefish.
The maroon clown is arguably the most aggressive of the clown fish. They tend to stake out their territory and are usually not afraid to attack any fish daring to enter their domain.
HTH

dacia

Would it be better for me to get 1 or 2 percs instead of the maroon? I already have percs and was looking for something different.
It is a 30 gallon high tank, and the only fish is the firefish...which has finally come out and said hello...so what other small fish would you suggest I put in there with him? I was hoping for at least one clown to see if he would host in one of the corals that I am going to put in there (no anenomes for me). I would like 3 fish total.

wablondie98664

i have my purple firefish in with a maroon clown and haven't had any problems at all. i think my marron is an exception though, i have never seen a bit of agression out of him:) a pair of percs would go good with the firefish though

wrassecal

I would go with the pair of percs too. You can most likely find tank raised and I wouldn't buy them too small. That is from my own experience though. I've lost 2 pair of little percs. Maybe you could get the ones with black on them for a different look. I guess you mean your other percs are in a different tank. Glad to hear your firefish has decided to venture out a little.

dacia

Yes, my other percs have a 20 gallon tank all to themselves. Well, almost. They share it with a loveable chocolate chip starfish named Patrick and the most active hermit crab I have ever seen!
My firefish (his name is Blaze) is the only fish in the 30 gallon so far. I snapped his picture a few times yesterday when he finally ventured out from behind his rock. Here he is beside Spongebob:

R

royalshrimp

my firefish steals food from my yellow tang, right from his mouth!
buthe was also sht in the begining:)

dacia

:eek: He takes it out of the yellow tang's mouth??? :eek: You should try to get a picture of that and post it here for us all to see!

asbury030

yea i just bought a yellow jawfish and only see him every once and a while. and i'll see him hiding in between my rocks and he will se me and go back hiding

ross

Hey guys
I have had a firefish in my tank with a royal gramma for about a week now. When i first put him in he hid in the rocks for the first day. I introduced him at night and left the lights for the whole first day. He has been coming out more and more. He has been out all of today and is doing great. The royal gramma is showing some aggresion though. Every once in a while he swims up to the firefish and opens his mouth real big. The firefish usually just ignores him. He is getting more use to people walking by the tank and doesn't dart in the rocks anymore.
I think you will be fine with a royal gramma with enough rockwork. Just let the firefish be alone the tank for at least a month.:)