Firefish?

carlos413

I have one purple firefish, a mandarin, Royal Gramma, two clowns, coral beauty angel and a yasha goby. No issues other than a the gramma and angelfish show off when in each others area of tank.

1guydude

in a 75 gal E ur options are very wide open.....wat do u want from this tank. I know my firefish just kinda hangs out in one area. He does swim with the dartfish i have though.
Id get a dwarf angel and some kinda semi-aggresive fish just to lively it up!
Im kinda enthuzed with chalk basslets as of lately!

btldreef

I think this will be easier if we list what doesn't do well with firefish:
Midas Blenny or other fanged blennies
Six Line Wrasse
Dottybacks/pseudochromis
Some hawkfish
Royal Gramma - can be an issue if you get an aggressive one. If the firefish is in before the gramma, it should not be as much of an issue.
Dartfish can sometimes be an issue
Lionfish (duh, it could eat one)

1guydude

sharks jellys idk bout stingrays though

on a more serious note. Id deff stay away from the dottyback, lil buggers are mean, kool but MEAN! !!!!!

reefkprz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386196/firefish#post_3391025
I think this will be easier if we list what doesn't do well with firefish:
Midas Blenny or other fanged blennies
Six Line Wrasse
Dottybacks/pseudochromis
Some hawkfish
Royal Gramma - can be an issue if you get an aggressive one. If the firefish is in before the gramma, it should not be as much of an issue.
Dartfish can sometimes be an issue
Lionfish (duh, it could eat one)
this is a good list of fish to avoid as companions in the tank with your fire fish.
with firefish peacefull, non-territorial fishes are going to be best since firefish spook fairly easily and can wind up do the "dry-land leap of death" when startled or chased. you may have problems with housing 3 firefish together as they mature, if there is a male/female pair they will bond and chase off or antagonize the third. if they are all the same sex they will possibly become aggressive towards each other as they mature, since they only tend to school as juveniles. Your 75 may or may not be big enough to keep the in-species aggression in check.

brokendeck

reefkprz. should i get a 4th one to house with the one thats gonna be left out! i think im gonna get a coral beauty today. that would be fine wouldnt it?

reefkprz

coral beauty, tend towards territoriality, BUT if they are the last fish put in the tank after any other fish they are fine with almost everything, except conspecifics (other dwarf angels). adding fish after the coral beauty can lead to harassment of the new additions.
and no, I myself, wouldn't get a fourth firefish. I don't think it will help the situation at all. you would only be increasing the chances for discord, if two are males and vie for the same female, or if three are male and go after the lone female. or vice versa. and you also thus reduce the amount of available territory per fish. stick with three and see how it goes. you may get lucky or you may have to find another home for the "odd man out" (or woman).

brokendeck

im gonna half to find another home for him most likely. 1 of them are already the odd one out. sits on the other side of the tank. it hides most of the time.