firefish

fishman88

so what is the smallest i can go with a firefish? would 2.5 be good or would he need more room? the 1 in my 29 just stays in 1 spot witch is about as big as a 3. but i am thinking about doing a 2.5 so could you guys give me info on this. (i have never done a reef smaller than a 29 so i am goin to have alot of questions and stuff like that so please bear with me)
thanks
mike

jeo

I personally wouldn't do it. A green banded goby or a clown goby would be a better choice becasue they are smaller.

overanalyzer

Unless you have nothing else in the tank then I'd say nothing in 2.5 gallon nano. You had some LR and a little bit of LS and you are down to 1 gallon of water ... not a whole lot for a fish .... a clown goby would be about the only guy I could see fitting in .....

maxweljames

I agree, only one of the smallest goby you could find. The swings in water conditions in a pica or femto tank are just to stressful on fish, I'd say only about an inch to maybe 2 inches tops in length. A full grown firefish is probably about 3 to 4 inches. You would be looking at a bio hazard of a tank in about a week or two. If you are set on a firefish I would go with a 5 or 7 gallon. there are some nice ones out there with full filtration get-ups. You alter the lights for more watts and you have a nice reef tank on your desk. The key to small nanos is water quality. You have to check on your tank a couple time a day or everything goes haywire

fishman88

THANKS. i will look up those two gobies today. i still am lookin in on getting a 2.5 it would have 35 or 36 wat pc with a coustome canopy. it would have live rock and sand from my other tank. but i was wondering should i get the little tank filter that every1 seems to have or should i get the mini bio wheel? the wheel costs more and i have liked myn on my 29 (it is not the mini). and i was also wondering how long and stuff like that a 2.5 gallon would be if you guys know any sites that sell them will you let me know thanks
Sleeprn1@Juno.com
thanks
mike

aggie05

On my 2.5 I just have an empty aquaclear mini for circulation. The live rock takes care of the filtration as long as you do a water change every so often.

maxweljames

should i get the little tank filter that every1 seems to have or should i get the mini bio wheel?
I'd look into getting the mini biowheel if you can attach it to the tank. I'm not familiar with how much space is available in the minibow 2.5. If you buy that tank new I believe it comes with a junior whisper filter but I'd still recommend upgrading or just adding the mini wheel. I see the mini wheel for under $15 at the LFS by me, it's worth it to have the triple filtration.

fishman88

yes i think i will get a mini for it but i would need to know the demitions of the tank so i can see if i can get it do any of you have the dementions
thanks
mike

maxweljames

I found the tank dimensions, 11 and 3/8 wide by 7 and 3/4 deep by 14 and 1/8 high. I don't have the dimensions of the filter but I wouldn't think if would be more than 4 inches wide. I would think that if they send a whisper filter with it a bio would fit.
PS, I was just reading up on newer whisper filters, they are triple filtration as well, they have an area of fibers that act like bioballs in a wet/dry. If that's the case you might just want to order up a new tank and use the filter they send with it. Why spend the extra money for a biowheel when the filter you got does the same thing.

fishman88

well thanks for all the help guys but i think i am goin to save my $ and stock my 29 more i want to thank you all for the help you gave me and maybe in 2-3 years i will be back to do my 2.5 idea
thanks alot
mike