First Clam

C

cmaxwell39

Had to frag my frogspawn and one of my candy cane corals and took the frags in to the lfs to trade them in. Ended up trading the frags even up for this clam. It is a T. Deresa. Not the brightest colored clam, but wanted to start with something fairly easy since this is our first clam. Let me know what you guys think.

alohami

You're right. It is a Squamosa. Something didn't look right to me, but I didn't take the time to think about what it was. Either way, I still like it.

C

cmaxwell39

Thanks for the input and the re-identification. I am by no means an expert on clams and was told it was a Deresa. Are squamosa's supposed to be as hardy as deresas?

pondy

I really like the pattern on that clam. Congrats. you got a really good deal if you are asking me. Nice pick up. Just a heads up I would examine it very closely to make sure there arent any pyrimid snails on it. They are pretty common on clams. They will eat him alive. Just check him out and more then likely you should be good.

spiderwoman

It's definitely a beautifully colored Squamosa. The ones I've seen have all been mainly beige in coloration and yours is greenish.

volcom69

Squamosa are hardy, just so your water parm. are good and the lighting is right you should have no problems. I wouldnt recomend target feeding the clam or any clam for that matter if you want to feed phyto feed the tank. The clam looks good and healthy and will get huge. Good luck.

candycane

Squamosas could probably live in a cup of soda, LOL. They are the same if not more hardy then Derasas. The only reason I know is because I breed squamosas and maximas. Its just sooooooo much fun collecting the "squirtings" whenever they go into convulsions. Outside of that, squamosas have their own little personalities as well (even though clams have everything that a human does outside of a brain - but still a nervous system).
Here's something you may not know. Most clams have "eyes" all over their mantles. This is why they get all messed up and ticked when you wave your hand over their mantle and obstruct the light. Squamosas on the other hand, have eyes only on the edge of their mantle and try to position themselves accordingly. They hate being sideways because they do not have a 360 view of everything. Their "eyes" are also slightly more magnified. They only thing you need to be worried about with Squamosas really is the fact that some of them can be down right aggressive. They like their own area. If there is another clam nearby, they might try to cover its' incurrent siphon with its mantle or cut off its light source. But probably 70% of squamosas will end up flat at some point.
If I had to rate these things by aggressiveness of clams, I would go Squamosa, crocea, derasa, maxima, Gigas then Hippopus. I have just seen some of them do some WEIRD junk like use their byysal to try to crawl up higher and block the light from other clams.
Just feed the thing. Ones that pass a certain size, like that one, usually 2.5 to 3 inches - DO need supplemental feeding. They also filter your water of nitrates, nitrites, blah blah blah. But you can search for something called Tahitian Reef Blend or Coral Frenzy. Both are good foods to feed clams.

C

cmaxwell39

Thanks again everyone.
Spider- This guy actually has quite a few colors to him. Depending on how the light hits him he is either a beige or a light green base color. The spots are a blueish color.
Candycane- Thanks for all the info. I have done some research on clams, but very little on squamosas. What do you mean by 70% of squamosas will end up flat at some point? Also, I already have coral frenzy here, would I just feed it to the tank or should I try to target feed the clam with it? Thanks again for all the help.
Oh yeah, one final question-- My lights are the 8 bulb nova extreme on a 75 gallon tank. That should be enough light for him correct? I know the light debate, but like I said before I thought that it was a deresa when I bought it.

nycbob

the light is more than enough. turn off all ur pump 1x a week for a hour and add the coral frenzy.

C

cmaxwell39

Thanks everyone. I was really suprised that I was able to trade for this guy even up. I appreciate all the help. It seems to be acting good. He reacts to changes in light or even if a fish swims over the top of him. You can see it pumping water in and out. It seems to be very healthy.

candycane

When I say 70% of them will end up flat at some point, it means that they prefer flat surfaces so that their entire mantle is horizontal. NEVER place their "output" siphon BELOW their incurrent siphon - you probably already know that though.
Other then that, cute little bugger. Looks nice and healthy.

C

cmaxwell39

Thanks for the info again candycane. I will try to make sure to position him level. Right now he is on the sand bed so it should be fairly level, but if I move him to the rocks I will try to give him a level spot.

candycane

Here's close ups of what you have to look forward to in a few years. STUPID CLAMS!!! They started gaping because they got all ticked off when I hung my head over the pool to take a picture. They are both Squamosas as you can see, and both of them breed. Give birth to some WICKED cool offspring.
Edit: See the clam on the right, that is one thing you have to watch out for sometimes. That is called centralized bleaching. The lights stayed on for 3 days straight for that to happen (wasn't there). The color is starting to come back (knock on wood) since the light cycle has returned to normal though.

C

cmaxwell39

Very cool clams. The colors on them are great. How big are those squamosas?
One more question. My little guy is open fine still but keeps turning so that his mantle is opening away from the front glass. Is there anything I can do to get him to stay so that I don't just see the back of his shell?

candycane

They are around 13 inches (last time I measured).
Absolutely nothing. Well you can move your little squam a bit as long as you can just move it. Thing is, once it drops it's little glands and feels like it's stuck in the place it's at, if you go yanking at it or trying to use something to seperate it, you still risk injuring the clam.