first corals? what are easy

jflo

Since my 29gal tank is runing fine and is all setup what kind of corals are the easiest to start with. My lighting is a ballast setup putting out aroud 150watts i think. That should be enough. P.S. how do I find out how many watts my lights have I? bought them used.

striker

Mushrooms and leathers are great to start off with. There are a bunch of different colored mushrooms that can liven up your tank. I've had great success with them. The only one I had problems with are the umbrella mushrooms which jumped off my lr and hid under. I have 2-95 watt vho on my 29 gallon so I think the lighting was bothering them. The amount of lights you need all depends upon what you want.

predator

I started out with a colt coral. But mushrooms, xenias and yellow poylps are great starters. I still love my colt coral. I'v fragged it once and could do it again, but I want them to get big.

my first coral was a colt. and to this day i still have it. it's beautiful. oh and if you look on your bulbs somewhere it should say how many watts they are.

von_rahvin

don't forget green star. these guys are cool. make sure you have you clean up crew already in the tank. so your coral will have a happy and healthy place to live

drummerboy

I agree, mushrooms are great, just make sure you know what kind you're getting, and what they like. I have two different kinds, the red mushrooms always are trying to hide from the lights, and then I have some (I don't know for sure what kind they are yet-they are purple with bright blue spots) that are constantly stretching for light.

bigred

I have 2 pagodas and they seem pretty easy. They just sit there until one of the snails or hermits knnock them over. :D My guess is you half to have strong lights. I have about 4 watts per gal. They are doing great.