First Day Checklist

3door

Hey everyone! I'm just starting out and can't wait... I wanted to get your 2 cents on checklist of stuff I have before I buy my live rock and get started. I already read through alot of the getting started posts, but don't want to mess anything up from the start
55 Gal tank getting leak tested now
48" orbit 65 watt lamp
60 lbs of live sand
60 gal of RO water
plenty of instant ocean
Eshopps 100 W/D filter
560 gph sump
thermometer
cascade heater for 55 gal
hydrometer
I was planning on getting 30 lbs of live rock 30 lbs dead rock ($$$) and starting the cycle, but wanted to get other's opinion.
Thanks!

metweezer

Originally Posted by 3Door
http:///forum/post/2647767
Hey everyone! I'm just starting out and can't wait... I wanted to get your 2 cents on checklist of stuff I have before I buy my live rock and get started. I already read through alot of the getting started posts, but don't want to mess anything up from the start
55 Gal tank getting leak tested now
48" orbit 65 watt lamp
60 lbs of live sand
60 gal of RO water
plenty of instant ocean
Eshopps 100 W/D filter
560 gph sump
thermometer
cascade heater for 55 gal
hydrometer
I was planning on getting 30 lbs of live rock 30 lbs dead rock ($$$) and starting the cycle, but wanted to get other's opinion.
Thanks!
Welcome to the boards

Your light is not enough for corals, if you plan on having a reef tank. A refractometer instead of a hydrometer as the former is way more reliable and accurate. Your rock choice seems okay.
Patience Grasshopper
This hobby is thoroughly pleasing and rewarding but it will cost time & money

3door

I was planning on just live rock, some fish, and invertebrates, not too interested in a reef tank...yet.
How about tests for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Any recos?
Thanks for your help. I'll post pics once I get it set up.

metweezer

Salifert probably makes the best kits but they aren't cheap. They also don't sell combo kits. I like API Saltwater Master Test Kit. With that you can test for PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.

briand7878

I use the api multi test kit and then bought different alk and mag test kits as well. I have to disagree with the lights not being enough. I had the same lights for a while and had very good luck with soft corals. Research every single thing you put in your tank and try to avoid impulse buys. (shark for instance) im laughing because i did it.

nano reefer

Originally Posted by metweezer
http:///forum/post/2647776
Patience Grasshopper
This hobby is thoroughly pleasing and rewarding but it will cost time & money

not true, all the truly amazing tanks on this site involve lots of awesome equipment before they stock it, and after 2 weeks the tank is fully stocked with livestock. If you're not first, you're last!

keith burn

imo go with 2 heaters, 2 30gal heaters thay will heat the tank faster and from the twe sides not from just one.
If one gos out you will not go cold as fast or if one will not go off you will not go as hot as fast.

3door

Thanks everyone! I got the live rock and sand in there with the filter and light going. So far only a few aneomenes ( I know I spelled it wrong) popped up, but everything seems like its going well. I really want to take my time with this, so stocking with fish will be a while
I will buy another heater once fall comes around. I don't need it now, my house is always 78ish anyway.
Question: I don't think I got enough rock, is it too late to buy a few more pounds of dead work to put in? Tank is going for ~48 hours.
Thanks a lot for all your advice. I'm already loving this.

3door

Thanks everyone! I got the live rock and sand in there with the filter and light going. So far only a few aneomenes ( I know I spelled it wrong) popped up, but everything seems like its going well. I really want to take my time with this, so stocking with fish will be a while
I will buy another heater once fall comes around. I don't need it now, my house is always 78ish anyway.
Question: I don't think I got enough rock, is it too late to buy a few more pounds of dead rock to put in? Tank is going for ~48 hours.
Thanks a lot for all your advice. I'm already loving this.

aquaguy24

3Door;2651078 said:
Thanks everyone! I got the live rock and sand in there with the filter and light going. So far only a few aneomenes ( I know I spelled it wrong) popped up, QUOTE]
make sure they are not aiptasia anemone..if so get rid of them fast before they overrun ur tank...

aquaguy24;2661672 said:
Originally Posted by 3Door
http:///forum/post/2651078
Thanks everyone! I got the live rock and sand in there with the filter and light going. So far only a few aneomenes ( I know I spelled it wrong) popped up, QUOTE]
make sure they are not aiptasia anemone..if so get rid of them fast before they overrun ur tank...
I have been having an ongoing battle with aiptasia anemone but finally getting it under control!!! I bought a copperband and two peppermint shrimp plus some joes juice!!!
but yeah bro you dont want those anemone if they are aiptasia they suck :(

kellenr

If you're planning on adding more LR I'd add it as soon as possible. It'll be more difficult to do later on. The only way you could is if you purchase some cured LR at a LFS and bring it straight home. This way you'll have no die-off and can put it right in ready to go. The more LR you get as opposed to DR, the better biofiltration you'll have right off the bat. The DR will take some time to be fully effective.
Check web photos of Aiptasia and Majano Anemones. You'll want to get rid of those if thats what they are (most likely are). As said above, you can get some Joe's Juice and inject them to kill them. You need to read up on killing them, there's really only 2-3 ways to effectively do it, and simply cutting them off isn't one of them.
You don't want these because they sting corals and fish and will compete for food & nutrients. They grow like crazy and will overun your tank, they're basically like weeds. Get them now while you only have a few and you should take care of it. Good luck.

aquaguy24

yes..do not cut them they will split and grow into another one..do not try to smash or scrape them as it will cause a bloom of anenomes everywhere..if they are big enough u can get a syringe and squeeze some lemon or joe's juices into the tube part of the anenome...

kellenr

Originally Posted by frog/lionman
http:///forum/post/2663179
KellenR
, what is Joe's Juice. Pardon my ignorance.
Thanks, Lionman
It's a product used specifically to kill aiptasia and majano anemones. Its a very highly acidic liquid that you inject (feed) into the anemone and it burns through the tissue thus dissolving it, literally within minutes usually. Doesn't harm anything else or affect water conditions. Pretty much the staple in the hobby. See pic below...

brightone

Is there anything one can do to prevent these "weed" anemone from populating a tank that is beginning the cycling process?