first equipment malfunction

new

today i suffered my firt equipment malfunction. i returned home from work and was saying hello to my birds and something unusual caught my eye in the tank. when i looked it was my royal gramma dead and half eaten, figured it was due to a recently discoverd hitcher, and started doing homework. during a break i noticed that my CBS hadnt moved AT ALL, then i noticed my polyps were all closed up and the featherduster was in a real hurry to move and knew something was wrong. i opened the hood to get a water sample for testing and discovered that the water was WAY to hot. my heater stuck on and raised the water temp to near 100 degrees. the current list of casualties is 1 royal gramma and 1 CBS, with a featherduster looking real bad, hopefully the total will not rise:(

clarkiiboi

try to float ALOT of zip lock baggies with ice (stuffed) to get at least a small decrease in the water temp. I heard of other ideas but that would take too long. Do you have a QT/hospt. tank that is large enough to house the fish for a day?

clarkiiboi

Sorry, I rethought that---waht about a good water change, maybe alittle cooler, not much. With that and the ice bags maybe you could beat this problem...
either way I am bumping you for better ideas--hopefully quickly

new

thanks clarkii, i posted after i had placed my canister filter in a bucket of cold ice-water and floated a bag of ice in the sump. this morning my temp was back down. the toll is still out as most of my polyps have not opened back up, even though the colors still look good, my 2 starfish are moving but slowly, my featherduster lost his head and i am going to try and spot feed him with a baster(any other advice would be helpful, i know hes still alive) everythingelse seems to have come through ok. disscussed plans so that this dosent happen again with the LFS today, short of a chiller.

I would suggest purchasing a Medusa controller and a better brand of heater. If you use the Medusa, IT controls your temp, not the heater. Much more accurate and reliable. May also wish to check into the titanium heaters. Again, use them with a Medusa for better control of water temp. Get the dual Medusa if you plan to use a chiller.
Sorry for the loss of livestock. That is such a bummer. :(

new

already thought of 2 heaters at 1/2 wattage but unfortunayely 2 late:(. what is the medusa unit do and price range?