first ever top down shots

footbag

I'm certainly no expert, but #1 doesn't look like a hydnophora. My Hydnophora doesn't branch like that. Its branches are thicker and more oddly shaped.

jauringer

footBag that is one of the few corals in my tank that I am positive of the ID. Ther are very distict hydnophors that make up the structer of this coral.
Did you know there are 6 identified sp. of Hydnophora
Mine being a less common species Hydnophora rigida
the more common Hydno is the Hydnophora grandis
However there are 4 others to choose from as well
Hydnophora bonsai
Hydnophora exesa
Hydnophora microconos
Hydnophora pilosa

jauringer

007 very funny you mention that.
There is an ongoing thread about european practice (zeovit) The entire system is designed in creating a very nutriant poor environment.
I am currently using one of the products of the system. (zoespur). The product I am using is designed to reduce zoozanthale(sp) in corals.
I have always produced very light coloration in the tissue of my corals, however ; this has made a big difference in the darkness of the tissue. not to steal a quote, but it seems to be a "controled bleaching" There is not a spec of brown on most of my corals. We will see what happens.
In the next month or so, i will probably be converting completely to the zeovit system.

footbag

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that there were so many species of hydnophora. I guess thats why even the experts don't try to id all of their sps corals.
Forgot to say though, great tank, great pics.

jauringer

007 here is a coral bleached in the wild.
the zoox is not the only thing to be expelled. it shows no underlying pigment either.
The pigments are what we want not a overload of zoos, because of PO4 and NO3