First fish problem...

nyhcx516x

So, I got my first fish last night, a clownfish.
All water params look good. He ate last night a few hours after being in the tank and looked great. This morning when I turned on the lights, I noticed little white spots on his body that were not there yesterday.
Any ideas?

renogaw

can be ich, brook, or just sand on the scales.
go to the disease forum and take a look at the pics. most likely it is a disease. hopefully you have it in your quarantine tank

nigerbang

Originally Posted by renogaw
can be ich, brook, or just sand on the scales.
go to the disease forum and take a look at the pics. most likely it is a disease. hopefully you have it in your quarantine tank

QT, QT, QT

ncacura

clown fish are really hardy, if it's your first fish he should be fine. it might be ick, but it could be other stuff, give him a couple days and he should be ok. he could've just been stressed from the initial shock of the new tank. check your levels make sure everything is cool.....also always try and float your fish for 15 minutes before you dump um in, so they can properly acclimate to the temperature. you can use the drip method of acclimation, but i honestly think that is more stressful to the fish, but just my opinion. usually if your levels are fine you can just float the fish and then dump him in.....

ncacura

ps. if this is your first fish in your tank you should start with a damsel......i know clownfish are in the damsel family, but damsels cost 5$ and clown fish cost in the area of 50$ so it's always to start off your tank with 5$ rather than 50$ and then just sell back the damsels to your LFS or get a lion fish or something to eat um.

renogaw

Originally Posted by ncacura
clown fish are really hardy, if it's your first fish he should be fine. it might be ick, but it could be other stuff, give him a couple days and he should be ok. he could've just been stressed from the initial shock of the new tank. check your levels make sure everything is cool.....also always try and float your fish for 15 minutes before you dump um in, so they can properly acclimate to the temperature. you can use the drip method of acclimation, but i honestly think that is more stressful to the fish, but just my opinion. usually if your levels are fine you can just float the fish and then dump him in.....

but what if your levels are higher than the levels the fish are accustomed to, such as you keeping your tank at 1.025 sg, and the lfs keeping it at 1.017? Or the pH in the bag being low because the fish has been sucking the oxygen out of the water, and the pH in your tank at normal levels? by telling someone just to dump it in could cause the fish more stress than acclimating and easily kill it. I don't agree with drip acclimation, but i also think dumping the fish in is not a good idea.

perfectdark

I think the drip acclimation for fish is the best thing you can do.. it acclimates the fish to your salinity or at least closer to it than your LFS if there not the same. It also gets the temperature closer to your tanks.. I have never heard of any bad reasons to dripo acclimate. If stress is a factor dont you think that putting it in a bag traveling from the store to home and then plopping it into a tank is stressful? how can drip acclimating make that scenario worse?

renogaw

don't get me wrong, and it may have come off that way, i do acclimate, but a modified way of drip. i'll put my fish into a container and transfer tank water into the bowl and bowl water into the trash.

nyhcx516x

Levels were all fine...
I drip acc for about 2 hours. The tank is an 8 gallon biocube, LR, some snails and crabs, some zoas.
The tank has been running fine for about 6 months now and this is the first fish. I looked at the threads in here, and it does look like Ick.
With no QT tank, what am I to do?
From what im reading, a cleaner shrimp may help.. but that seems to easy of a fix?

renogaw

cleaner shrimp will not cure ich if thats what it is. only tried and true methods to curing ich are copper and hypo, both that need to be done in a quarantine tank. with how horrid copper is, hypo is the best method between the two.

perfectdark

With this being the only fish you have you stand losing only your one fish. ICK cant infect anything else in your tank and with out a fish to host on ICK will die in 3 days after the removal of your fish. If you can get a QT set up in the next couple of days using some water from your main tank and a small filter perhaps you can treat the little guy. If not he may and thats a stretch, but MAY kick it on his own. Good luck.

renogaw

ich has a proven life cycle of 42 days. taking a fish out for 3 days is not long enough. the tank needs to be empty of all fish for that period of time. even if it is just one fish. the life cycle will continue to happen, and any fish he ever puts in there after will get ich.

nyhcx516x

my other question is this.... he looked fine last night. Was the ick just not visable and showed up over night, or is this something that is in the tank itself, and just attacked the fish when it was introduced into the tank. And if thats the case... then putting the fish into a QT to cure him wont fix the tank itself....?
The whole thing bothers me because he is the only fish thats been put into the tank, and he didnt have it at the LFS.....

renogaw

it probably had it at the LFS, but the immune system on the fish was probably compromised from the stress of getting put into the new tank. this would have let the parasites get a better hold. also, as they feed they get bigger. this is why a quarantine tank is an absolute must.

stephen33

I had the same thing happen to two clowns i went away of a weekend and came back to find one of them just about dead and the other covered in spots. you have to treat for ick pretty quick if it is a fish only tank and he is the only fish in there u may be able to treat him in the tank but if not set up a bucket with a heater and a small filter you could probably get a 5 gallon bucket set up to do the job for 40$ or so maybe less if you have old parts laying around.

saltn00b

you are going to want to set up a QT tank and run hypo , carefully watching levels and doing WC's as the QT cycles. after hypo continue counting out until your tank has ran 6 weeks without a fish. its the only to be sure your tank is clean of it

srfisher17

Clownfish are very hardy; but they are not the easiest fish to transport. They are very susceptible Brooklynella or "clownfish disease" . This stuff, like ich will shoe up on stressed fish. Like others have said, you'll find lots of info on the disease forum

renogaw

Originally Posted by stephen33
I had the same thing happen to two clowns i went away of a weekend and came back to find one of them just about dead and the other covered in spots. you have to treat for ick pretty quick if it is a fish only tank and he is the only fish in there u may be able to treat him in the tank but if not set up a bucket with a heater and a small filter you could probably get a 5 gallon bucket set up to do the job for 40$ or so maybe less if you have old parts laying around.

for 40 bucks you can get a 20 gallon setup at walmart including a filter, heater, and light. problem with treating a tank for ich is the rock, inverts, and possibly the sand (if DSB) would have to come out.

ice4ice

ps. if this is your first fish in your tank you should start with a damsel......i know clownfish are in the damsel family, but damsels cost 5$ and clown fish cost in the area of 50$ so it's always to start off your tank with 5$ rather than 50$ and then just sell back the damsels to your LFS or get a lion fish or something to eat um.

Yes clowns are of damselfish family. But - damsels are tough to catch once you have them in your tank. That's why alot of people don't like them and/or sorry they had one in their tanks.

dreamer44

clowns around me and on most internet stores are about 15-20$....?? idk