First Fish?

prinny

Our tank has now completed it's cycle. Yipee Skippy :) Now we need to move forward. We purchased two clowfish and a Goby. Should we wait a week and see how they do before adding more? Our tank is 120 gallons and is not a reef tank. We have left that option open in the future. It was my understanding that all we will need to do is add different lighting. We know that we want to add three yellow tang at some point but were told to add them last. Any thoughts? Also we were told you can't add purple tang with yellow tang, is this true?

ebeckels

the thing with tangs is that they are more agressive to their own body type. Purple and yellow tangs have similar body types.

You may want to wait a few days before adding another fish. The basic rule for tangs is you cant put two together that have the same genus name (same as same body type). I've always read you can't even put yellow tangs together. Predator and I put two yellow tangs together in our 75 and they are getting along great. I've seen a 180G tank with a yellow tang and a purple tang together. Basically I'm saying there are certain rules or guidelines to go by with fish compatibility but there are always ways to bend the rules just a little bit.

joe5_15

and i think it would be better to wait to get the tang as ur last fish because they are very territorial and with all the other pickin "their spots" ur tank will be a lot happier

given adequate living space tangs can live together. add docile fish first and let them settle in then add the aggressive territorial fishies last...

stupid_naso

Well you can get cleaner crews: shrimp, snails, and crabs. These creatures will help you clean your tank. Well I like cleaner shrimp because it can pick parasites off fishes. Snails are great for cleaning algaes, anywhere, glass, rocks, anywhere. Crabs, also handle algaes. Sally lightfoot is a great cleaner, it works the whole time. Emerald crab is the one that you should get when you have bubble algaes. As you might know those are the ones I have in my tank right now. I hope that gives you a picture of what a cleaner crew can be. Hope that helps :) .
stupid_naso