first fish

watever91

i just got a 55 gallon corner tank. it's my first tank that i plan to take care of, as opposed to the other ones... i was wondering if a large blue hippotang would be a good choice as a starter.

jenni620

no. they need a much larger tank. if you are doing a community tank, i would suggest starting with a pair of clowns. they are good starter fish.

jesshika

Yah, tangs are not a good starter fish and the 55 may even be too small for them, longer tanks are better for tangs. They need at least a 75 gallon long. The clowns are the best starter fish or I like wrasses a lot too.

jesshika

Nah, I wouldn't do it because eventually its going to get a lot bigger and a 55 corner thank just isn't big enough for a hippo tang imo. I wouldn't even put a hippo in my 55 gallon thats 4 feet long because I know he would outgrow it
BTW welcome to the board

ice4ice

Tangs do well in 125 gallon or larger tanks. That is why some of the responses say no to a tang in a 55G tank.

jenni620

hippo tangs can get really big...i have a 90 gallon, and i wouldn't put one in there even. there are LOTS of other options out there! you can still get some really cool fish for a 55 gallon. look at some of the dwarf angels; most have really nice color, and would be a good addition after your tank is a little more established. clowns are good starters, as are firefish, cardinals and some smaller wrasses.

mcbdz

And welcome.
Has your tank cycled yet?
When did you start it?
What kind of equipment do you have on it?
What do you have in it? (LR, LS)
There is a great list of helpful info at the top of this forum listed by Lion-craz. That is a great place to get you started and will put you ahead of a lot of us when we got started. You have come to a great place to get any advice you may need and lots you may not
j/k. Everyone here is great though and will help with anything you need. Have fun.

watever91

thanks everyone! ur all so nice! well i went to my LFS and they said all this different stuff and just put stuff into the cart so i just ran with it. the guy was knowledgable though so i believed him. i'll have to look carefully when the tank is delivered (yea its not even here yet). i need to wait 6 weeks to even put any fish in so i want to get all the info on possible fish ahead of time. i guess i won't be putting a hippotng in lol.

watever91

oh, and i want to know about and octopus. i would definatly not get one for a long, long time but what would be the requirments for one?

jesshika

Originally Posted by watever91
oh, and i want to know about and octopus. i would definatly not get one for a long, long time but what would be the requirments for one?
Hmm I think an air tight tank lol. They are escape artists I've heard and they eat fish and inverts, so I don't think its a good idea to have one in a community tank

sepulatian

Originally Posted by watever91
thanks everyone! ur all so nice! well i went to my LFS and they said all this different stuff and just put stuff into the cart so i just ran with it. the guy was knowledgable though so i believed him. i'll have to look carefully when the tank is delivered (yea its not even here yet). i need to wait 6 weeks to even put any fish in so i want to get all the info on possible fish ahead of time. i guess i won't be putting a hippotng in lol.
What stuff did they put in the cart? Please be careful with what the LFS tells you. Some are fine but others will sell you anything. Also, an octopus has to be in a tank by itself. Let us know what all you bought.

watever91

well i wouldn't put and octopus in a community tank but what is the procedure on feeding and keeping it happy?