First online order

splashed

Hey guys, got a question for you. I just ordered 20 scarlets, 20 bluelegs, 2 emeralds, 20 asteria snails and a cleaner shrimp from swf.com. on the bluelegs, emeralds and snails it says their acclimation time is 1 hour, on the others, says 2 hours. However, when reading the acclimation information on the border here, it says 2 hours. So, is 2 hrs the safety, or do they only require a 1 hr acclimation on some?
Also, when I ordered this morning, is said that there was no Saturday delivery - do they do Sunday deliveries? I know is says no Monday deliveries . . . Im gettin confused on when to expect them.
Thanks in advance

T

thomas712

They do not deliver on Sundays to my knowledge.
Within reason the longer you take to acclimate the better. When I got an order very late last fall it was very cold. I had crabs and shrimp in the order that came in with very cold bags. Very cold. I decided to go through a 6 hour acclimating process and everything lived just fine.
Thomas

B

bildotang

I can't help you on the deliveries part, but I can on the acclimation. I would view the acclimation time as the minimum amount of time for the process. If it takes more than 2 hours, that's great. It can't hurt anything by taking longer, but it can by shortening the time.

schneidts

Congratulations on your first order! Acclimate anything you get as long as possible. The longer they have to acclimate, the better their chances of survival.

schneidts

I'm not sure what you're asking. Did you order lr, if so I missed that in your first post. If you did order lr, you cannot just add it to your tank, you need to cure it first.

coastie55g

oops sorry about that... was kinda yacking on the phone and cant do too manythings at one time
i have bought 20-25 pounds of LR from SWF.. and should be getting it on monday or tuesday.. my question is when i get it from them can i put it right into my fish tanks.. only have a clown in there now... roomates cat got my blue damsels...or so he thinks... or should i buy a tupperwear and run the skimmer in that... for how many days to cure??

kitty

:notsure: What exactly IS curing (LR)? My LFS cures all his live rock before he will sell it, but I still don't really understand what the process is or why it must be done.:happyfish

splashed

Thanks for all the input guys, one more question . . . can I, since they are all inverts, acclimate in the same container? Or do I need to keep seperate?

schneidts

Oops, I thought you were the thread starter, sorry. To answer your question, no, you cant put it right in your tanks. You'll need to put it in a rubbermaid type container with a powerhead and heater. I had to do it once myself, and to warn you- it's smelly business. It can take two to three weeks, and you'll need to do frequent water changes. I'm sure a quick search will give more than enough info on this.

clint_reno

Don't cure LR with any fish or inverts in your tank. If you can cure LR in a SW tank, with a heater and lid, this seems to help with the smell. You will also need air stones or powerhead to keep the water moving. Running a filter wouldn't hurt either. I cured 35lbs of LR in a 10g and it came out great.
To answer the question about your delivery. I would suggest that you arrange to either pick-up your order at Fed-Ex, or have it delivered to your work or a friend, (if you can't be home when it is dropped-off.) SWF.com needs a signature at the time of delivery for them to honor their 6-day guarantee.
Acclimate the critters as they were bagged. Avoid mixing them into one bucket.
It is great fun when the SWF.com order arrives!

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Kitty
:notsure: What exactly IS curing (LR)? My LFS cures all his live rock before he will sell it, but I still don't really understand what the process is or why it must be done.:happyfish

Curing Live Rock
Curing rock is easier than you may think. First of all, beware that it is a standard practice for dealers to claim rock is "cured" or "pre-cured", when in reality you'll still need to cure it yourself. This applies to all rock that has not spent a few weeks in water after import, including "pre-cured" rock. Buyer beware!
What You'll Need
There are no rules here, all you need is a container and circulation. Ideally, you'll be curing your rock in your main aquarium where you already have good circulation and a protein skimmer, but if you already have a tank with fish and corals, you'll need to do it outside of the inhabited tank. A common 30 gallon plastic trash can is an ideal container for curing rock. Any suitable tank, bucket, etc., will do.
Provide Good Circulation
Use a powerhead or water pump for circulation in the container. A large air pump is also good for circulation. The key here is the more the better. The more circulation you provide, the faster it will stabilize and the more life will be preserved.
How Long Does It Take?
That depends on many factors, but a rule of thumb is 2 to 4 weeks. This pertains to "pre-cured" rock as well as "uncured", because it doesn't matter what's supposedly been done to rock while in Fiji, because it's the trip that makes it require curing!. You'd think that the industry wouldn't assume we're dumb enough to fall for that one! Only after rock has been in water for several weeks, after import, will it be "cured"-- or safe for an inhabited tank.
Do I Need a Skimmer or Lighting?
If you have a skimmer, by all means, use it. A skimmer is great to have while curing, and should expedite the process, but it is not an absolute necessity. Most hobbyists curing outside the main tank just use good circulation, but the more filtration you can provide, the better. Lighting while curing is an opinion loaded question, but in general, lighting during curing is recommended. It will fuel algae growth, but will also preserve life on the rock. If you use lighting, no more than a normal day/night period is recommended.
Additional Tips
Just as you'll want to do it in your main tank, place the rocks loosely for good water flow. Do not stack them like brickwork, instead, place them with minimal points of contact. This will allow for the best water flow, ensuring faster better curing. If you're curing in a trash can, etc., you may want to turn and move the rocks every few days so that all surfaces are exposed to good circulation. This is not necessary, but it will help ensure faster curing.
a cut and paste for you
Thomas

T

thomas712

Why do we cure it or re cure it before it hits our tanks. Because it can cause unwanted spikes in our tanks and if you were to add to much to fast it could cause spikes that could kill or damage fish or corals.
Thomas

kitty

Thanks Thomas
I thought it might have something to do with die-off.
As for my LPS's claim, he does. I have seen his setup and picked out pieces. He puts them in a plastic basket within the main cure vat and puts a name on the basket.
He cures for 4 weeks before he sells.:cheer: