First PC - What was yours

zman1

What was the first real PC you bought?
I bought an IBM XT clone:
8088 processor
640k Ram
2 - 360k 5 1/4" floppy drives
Monocrome monitor - Hercules graphic emulator.
Upgraded to a 20 meg RLL hardrive and I think 2400 baud cardinal modem.
MSDOS
Wordprocessor -- IBM DisplayWrite V?
Procom communicatons.
It was smoking -LOL
The AT - 286 were the top of the line from IBM at the time with CGA color.
IBM missed the boat -- on hardware and operating system. They gave away the bank to Bill by letting him keep and sell MSDOS (which he brought all rights to - QDOS)while they released PCDOS and the thirdparty market for hardware.
Quick and Dirty Operating System. The D wasn't Disk orignally.

T

thomas712

I used to build 286's out of old 8088's, the the 386, 486 and 486dx2 and dx4's then I gave up building computers.
I miss DOS, can you believe that!

socal57che

Performa 5200, then powermac 7100 and thermal dye sub printers (wife was a graphic arts major) , then in the mid 90's it got hard to find mac software and dealers. Now I wish I hadn't gotten used to the IBM windows format, since mac has made a comeback lately. Currently using Dell Latitude 840c. Wife has one, too. 6 yr old daughter has a compaq armada. (still have the Macs in storage. Does anyone remember IBM being on the verge of bankruptcy due to Macintosh school/corporate sales?? I think that's what brought about the whole selling to third parties by microsoft.

carshark

first computer i got was a mac. then i got compaq, and then my mother remarried to a computer genius and i couldnt tell you what the computers were from that point. they were all custom built.. i have currently a dell latitude D600 laptop (for work) and a toshiba satellite laptop for personal use. by far the toshiba has been my favorite along the way. outstanding computer.

ophiura

Originally Posted by FISHY7
Commador 64
Now this was a fast machine
Had to do all the programming myself...

I'm with ya! Used the TV as a monitor.
But surely, that boost up to the 128 was big time...agreed?
I had a brother word processor in college and burst onto the scene with a $2000 state of the art 486 in grad school.

mudplayerx

I have you all beat! I had a Texas Instruments where you had to enter like 2 hours worth of code just to play a pac-man like game that used ascii characters as graphics.

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by bigarn
My first PC had a crank on it. ***)
Hey, I like the new "popcorn guy"!
Oh yea!!! My pc ran by burning blocks of peat moss in it!
who selects the smilies? Is it you Beth? I have a few I could give ya hehe.

sweetdawn

***) this is so cute cant beleive i didnt notice him. our first computer was a pckard bell it is in my sons room kinda worthless cant even upgrade the windows 3.1

marvida

The first one: a trash 80 that uses a tv for a monitor. I think it's got 8kb memory. Still have it in a box in the garage. First usable 'puter: trash 1000 286, CGA, 20meg hard card, 1 ea. 3.5" & 5.25. $2400 in 1984'ish dollars.

socal57che

Dude!....I so totally forgot about my Tandy TRS 80 until someone mentioned their commodore. Thermal printer and all. On hot days I hat to throw away a couple feet of paper to get down to the good stuff. I even had the cassette recorder to store data. What a HOOT!!! :hilarious

farmboy

We had a Commodore 64 at home-TRS 80 at school. Do you all remember the 8 inch floppy drives? WOW!
OK for you thirty somethings and up: DO you remember the first home video game? Someone brought an INTELLIVISION to our house (Mid '70s?). All it did was PONG!!
Big time entertainment-- ***)
I'm down with the new smiley as well.

key00west

mine was a commodore 20, where it didnt have a hard drive so i had to buy a tape recorder as a hard drive and hook it up to a small black and white tv, the only thing you could do was run some cheezy command lines and make a little stick figure move, that was back in 1983 i think, now i've got an Intel 3.5 Gig 80 gig hard drive 256 meg video, 1.5 gigs of memory 19 in flat screen monitor, man! what did i ever do to past the time as a kid? LOL