first pics

hefner413

Nice skimmer. I had the regular prizm... was ok - just didn't like the microbubbles it was producing and the $$$. I ended up returning it and got a prizm pro deluxe (used) - I liked the larger capacity, and I got a deal I couldn't refuse. Overall, I like the prizm skimmers. BTW - they have awesome customer support. If you need a replacement part, etc - they are really cool. There was a chipped part of plastic on the used pro deluxe and they replaced it for free.

fish3

i got a new brain and feather duster and i need to put the surface skimmer on the inlet soon probably next water change wed or thurs

hefner413

on the pro deluxe... hmmm... about every 3 weeks. But it's not even close to "full" at that time - maybe about 1/4 full. the pro deluxe has a huge cup. But I just do it to keep it filling up at a steady rate. Once emptied, it seems to fill quite quickly, then slows as it gets gummed up inside the funnel.
BTW, I just got a Coralife super skimmer with the 180 that I just bought used. I'm wondering how it will work compared to the prizm...
So anyway, why you ask? yours up and running yet?

fish3

mines runnig and all it just seems that the collectioncup does not get any water in it unless i put the flow up high and then bubbles get into the tank so i was wondering what i should do

hefner413

that was my biggest problem with the smaller prizm, and the reason i returned it - like you are experiencing - I had to turn it up higher to collect anything and thus produced so many micro bubbles. the larger prizm pro has more turns and a longer distance for bubbles to travel, thus preventing most bubbles from leaving the skimmer. People place "bubble filters" on skimmer returns a lot, preventing bubbles from going back into the tank. You may be able to do the same on the prizm, I don't know. Maybe you could try putting a pad/sponge or something the the output side of the discharge - might catch the bubbles, but might make it overflow over the sides too.
And to clarify - you don't want "clean" water collecting in the cup, just skimmate junk - brown crud. if you are getting clear water, you have it flowing too much anyway and need to turn it back. If you aren't getting any crud at all, most likely not enough flow, but maybe your tank is super clean too.
Well, let me know how it goes...

mie

I have the same skimmer and i empty every two weeks or so, and it is only half way full.
When i do turn it up i get a full cup but clean bubbles.

fish3

new rock work i got rid of my clarkii and i put a sponge with some rubber bands on it to be a bubble shield

hefner413

looks like it may work? is it trapping the bubbles?
BTW, nice rock! And a good platform for coral there on the right!

fish3

it's trapping the bubbles well but a little get throw but i addjusted it a little more so it would have none i added another rubber band and the only bubbles that was getting in were from the fall of the sponge so i figure they would have oxygen in them pic tomorrow

fish3

hi guys yesterday my tank cracked on the bottom and i had to get a new one so far i've lost 1 chormis and i think mycorals are doing fine