First Post Ever!

saltvirgin

Hi folks,
I'm just looking for a some pointers on converting my 55gal FOWL tank to a reef tank.
All I have for filtration is a cheapy Bio Wheel Emperor 400 and a tank mounted protien skimmer. Do I need to upgrade my filtration system before I start adding softies?
My tanks been up and running for about 6 months. I've had a few set backs, lost some fish. I've tried hard to learn from my mistakes. Just a typical rookie I guess.
In the tank...
45 lbs. live rock
Cleaner shrimp
Two snails
Two Percula clowns
Medium sized bubble tip anemone (just added him a few days ago.)
All my water levels (ph, salinity, nitrate, amonia) seem to be fine.
Also, what kind of lighting would you recommend?
Any pointers anyone can offer are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing back from the experts!

redman1221

Originally Posted by saltvirgin
http:///forum/post/3088617
Hi folks,
I'm just looking for a some pointers on converting my 55gal FOWL tank to a reef tank.
All I have for filtration is a cheapy Bio Wheel Emperor 400 and a tank mounted protien skimmer. Do I need to upgrade my filtration system before I start adding softies?
My tanks been up and running for about 6 months. I've had a few set backs, lost some fish. I've tried hard to learn from my mistakes. Just a typical rookie I guess.
In the tank...
45 lbs. live rock
Cleaner shrimp
Two snails
Two Percula clowns
Medium sized bubble tip anemone (just added him a few days ago.)
All my water levels (ph, salinity, nitrate, amonia) seem to be fine.
Also, what kind of lighting would you recommend?
Any pointers anyone can offer are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing back from the experts!
As for lighting it depends on what you want to keep as for corals, sps, lps or softies. What kind of corals are you looking to get, plus I would go with a sump instead of that HOB filter.

extinct 1ne

Softies will do good under PC, T5, or Metal Halide. Just like you, I've had my rookie mistakes. I have lost a Yellow Tang (Ich), Tomato Clownfish (Ich), Green Chromis (Ich), and a Kenya Tree. But, I have learned from those mistakes and moved forward about it. I really don't know about the filter, maybe someone else can help you there. Maybe in the future get a little bit more LR (5-10 Lbs.). IMO the biological filtration is the way to go (Refugium). What do you plan to stock in it?
W E L C O M E ! ! !

nina&noah

If you already bought an anemone, than you are going to have to take care of the lighting ASAP. Anems like very strong lighting, preferably MH (metal halides). MH lighting will also provide you with more options as far as coral is concerned. However, MH is expensive and the bulbs have to be replaced atleast every year. If you are not going to invest in lighting, than I would take the anem back to the LFS asap. He won't make it with standard lighting.

ophiura

Hi,
WELCOME!!
Can you start by posting your specific water parameters and tank set up like powerheads and such?
what is "fine" for a FOWLR can be fatal for inverts.

saltvirgin

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replys! Im looking for some MH lighting on line right now...We have a ***** close by, do you suppose they may carry it? I'll give them a call in a moment.
As far as what do I plan on putting in there? I'm not really sure yet. I usually just head to the fish store I shop at and look for anything that both catches my eye and is hearty. I don't plan on buying any more fish for a while as I don't want to crowd the tank. Mostly i'm looking for bright colors and easy care for now. Any suggestions?
Thanks
S.V.

rlablan

***** Does not carry them, at least not the ones in AZ. Also, IMO I would not shop at any of those chain LFS stores, *****, petsmart... They often give bad advice, many of the employees are inexperienced and if you aren't absolutely sure what it is that you're buying or looking for, they usually don't know that right answers. It doesn't surprise me that (if you got it there) they sold you an anemone and told you it would be fine. They did that same to me but I chose not to get the anemone at that time and am glad I didn't listen to them. CL has many great deals on MH lighting.

ophiura

Originally Posted by saltvirgin
http:///forum/post/3088837
I usually just head to the fish store I shop at and look for anything that both catches my eye and is hearty. ... Mostly i'm looking for bright colors and easy care for now. Any suggestions?
Thanks
S.V.
My first suggestion is please don't do this. Research before buying or you could make a very costly mistake. In general, do not trust the advice of your LFS, IMO.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3088850
My first suggestion is please don't do this. Research before buying or you could make a very costly mistake. In general, do not trust the advice of your LFS, IMO.
+1
If you want to, you could go to the LFS and look around. Get the names of things you like and then use your will power (it can be hard) to go home and research them. Saltwater can be tricky, especialy reefing. You run into alot of compatability issues and all of the coral require different lighting. Some need to be spot fed, others don't. Some fish and inverts shouldn't be sold at all and will die in our tanks. There is alot to learn. The way to learn that is the least overwhelming (atleast for me) is to learn as you go. Find out what you like and research it little by little.

ophiura

Believe it or not, not all corals "get along" just like fish, and it can be a real pain to work out. I have easy corals...even they don't get along. I have a Kenya tree who has been flat out pouting ever since I moved a small frag of green star polyps near it.

salt deposit

I have a 55gl reef tank as well with two hob filters and a bak pak skimmer only,
4 bulb T5 for lighting and I have softies,sps and a maxima clam that have been
doing very well growing like weeds.
I think as long as you have a good test kit and check often with weekly water
changes you should be fine. As for lighting T5's are a good choice and allow you
to keep just about what ever you want in a 55gl.
Other than lighting we have the same setup

Good luck and enjoy your tank

Just wanted to say welcome and good luck to you.
I am brand new too and just converted a 55 gallon to SW. Essentially, the only thing that is the same at this point is the tank.
I have needed to upgrade lighting, consequently change the canopy, upgrade my filter, etc... Expensive, but fascinating!