First refractometer, help with levels

lroberts

I just bought my first refractometer and I am wondering what my salt should be at. I was told 35 ppt. Is this correct? I do have corals of all kinds.
There is PPT to the right and SG to the left and to be honest I am not sure how to read this very well so I am not sure what it should be at.
Thank you!

morval

specific gravity should be 1.025
and salinity around 33 i think ill check what mine says when i get home

natclanwy

35ppt is correct, and you are looking for the band that runs between the two different colors mine is blue and white but I have seen others that are grey and white. Where this band is, is your reading and you can use the ppt scale or the SG scale and it will be 1.026 on the SG scale.

lroberts

WWWWHHHEEEWWWW Glad I asked. I checked my salt in the tank and it was at 30!!!!. All fixed now and the corals today look a bit more happy.
I had a plastic hydrometer. DO NOT USED THESE. Cheap and they are not on at all really. I am SOOOO happy I went with this new tool and spent the money on it.
Thanks everyone! By the way... I have been having trouble getting caps to live... Would this have had something to do with it?
Thanks!

natclanwy

It might have, 30 is equal to a SG of 1.023 which is low but isn't extremely low maybe they are more sensitive to low salinity than other corals.