First Saltwater Aquarium

nigerbang

Its cool man, no-ones jumping you. I hope you don't feel that way. The readings might be great, but at the same time the cycle might not be in full swing yet. I would see if your lfs could hold them, or let you return them for fish that can grow in the tank with out tearing each other apart..just trying to help, that's what we are here for.

L

lsu

Will your LFS allow you to return them or possibly sell them to a friend? Check to see if there is a local reef club in your area, a local member would probably be willing to hold your stock for a little while until you upgrade. I would also look for a new LFS pretty quick judging by what he sold you. They know better.

youngmoney

Thanks, however he wont take fish back once they have left to reduce the risk of spreading disease. Are my fish basically dead? I love the eel hes my favorite, i could get rid of the grouer tho. Do they have anough room for now though?

nigerbang

Eels and groupers are damn near bullet proof, but the ammonia will burn their gills, I don't believe the ray will make it though...nor the star fish. See if a local reef club member can hold it or a different fish store will buy them.

alan1

Here are the steps I would take in no particular order:
1. Get involved with a local reef club - This was an awesome suggestion by the previous poster.
2. Find someone in said club who can take the "problem" fish off of your hands. You may even be able to work out some type of trade where they will trade you some sweet corals down the road after your tank is established.
3. Flatten the tires of the lfs owner who used unethical and immoral business practices in order to make a few bucks.
4. Browse these forums for a few months before doing anything else. That is what I have been doing. It's a great unpressured way to learn a ton about the hobby.
I actually don't think it is all that bad having a tank without fish for a month or two. My 10 gallon has been vacant with the exception of a clean up crew for about 2 months now. I may be easy to entertain, but I get a kick of just watching the clean up crew and their antics.

youngmoney

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/2511820
Eels and groupers are damn near bullet proof, but the ammonia will burn their gills, I don't believe the ray will make it though...nor the star fish. See if a local reef club member can hold it or a different fish store will buy them.
Today the grouper and ray are a bit 'sluggish' and not as active as before. I just made a few adjustments to my live rock set up to avoid falling rocks which stirred up the sand and made the water cloudy. I did a water change of only 2 gallons and relased it with freshwater with a round of vitamins and other chemicals, just no salt. My salinaty it still the same. Should i do a full water test again as well? The ell is already poking his neck out and moving around but the grouper and ray are hiding..... what do you think?
Also i live in a town called Texarkana, its where TX and AR meet at one point, there is NO reef club and only few saltwater aquariast even though it is a pretty niced sized town. There is NO LUCK on the fish leaving my tank, so i i have to look at the bright side of things and learn my lesson. I just hope they get to survive and grow with me :(

youngmoney

A few minutes ago i was cleaning my fish tank as i stated above, i reached and touched my filter and got a jolt of electricity and felt it in the water as well. Needless to say i unplugged the light which was causing it and have my standard blue glow light on, i dont have coral yet anyway the fish should be fine right?

This photo was taken when i still had my lionfish which died a few days earlier. It just shows how the light is and how the aquarium currently looks minus one fish. The water test came out clear again with 0.0 ammonia.

youngmoney

Here are a few new pictures i took a few mins ago, the eel sure does get active at night! You see him and the grouper goin head to head in one of the pics. What do you guys think? Im wondering if that eel has enough room for now... Also people are saying i need more live rock, this is only true if i loose the stingray correct? As he needs as much swimming room as possible.

kwolfskill

Welcome to this wonderful hobby that delights and frustrates us all! You want to learn, and you have taken one of the best first steps, coming to this web site. Most folks here are very helpful and friendly. Yes, you will get the folks who may sound harsh, but they aren't trying to pick on you, they are just trying to look out for your new pets the best way they think they can. One thing I would recommend is getting a copy of Bob Fenner's book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". You can learn more from this book than you would have ever thought possible. And keep asking for advice. There is always someone here to help.
Good Luck!

youngmoney

I was woken up this morning bright and early at 6am by a strage sound. I hopped out of bed to find my eel flopping around on the ground, i quickly put him back in the aquarium and he retreated to his caves. I sealed the back of the aquarium to assure he doesnt escape again. When doing this I also noticed my stingray had finally passed...... :( I hope my eel and grouper atleast make it..... Atleast now i can add more live rock i guess.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by YoungMoney
http:///forum/post/2512250
I was woken up this morning bright and early at 6am by a strage sound. I hopped out of bed to find my eel flopping around on the ground, i quickly put him back in the aquarium and he retreated to his caves. I sealed the back of the aquarium to assure he doesnt escape again. When doing this I also noticed my stingray had finally passed...... :( I hope my eel and grouper atleast make it..... Atleast now i can add more live rock i guess.
Adding more rock right now would be a huge mistake if its uncured...It would cause the ammonia to spike even higher than it prolly is right now...
Sorry for your losses.

subielover

As a noob myself, I feel bad reading this thread. I know how it will end, and it is a shame. Are you sure there is not another LFS near you?

condyman

I thought you had been in the freshwater business for 10 years?! don't you have to cycle freshwater too? go to the LFS and get the 24hr aerobic nitrification cycle formula. There are a bunch of different brands. take the survivors out of your tank for 2 days, dump the chemical, wait, test (after 2nd day) dump your eel and grouper back.It should help their survival rate.

L

lsu

As long as you buy CURED rock, you can add it immediately, but you are relying on your LFS word that it is cured and it does not sound that your LFS are very trustworthy. You generally want at least one pound of LR per gallon of water.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by LSU
http:///forum/post/2512414
As long as you buy CURED rock, you can add it immediately, but you are relying on your LFS word that it is cured and it does not sound that your LFS are very trustworthy. You generally want at least one pound of LR per gallon of water.
Or be like me, 400lbs in my 180 dt and another 60 in my sump

S

surfinusa

Why did you add a volitan lionfish? Just check the post number 28, look at the picture, and at the botton right of the rocks there he is.

kwolfskill

Originally Posted by YoungMoney
http:///forum/post/2512250
I hope your eel and grouper make it too.
For future reference, even after your tank had cycled and matured, you really don't want to put new fish directly in it anyway. You should have a quarentine tank (QT) that your fish, and some folks also say your coral, a few weeks in after you get them, before you introduce them into your display tank (DT). Once you know they are healthy, then move them from the QT to the DT. TThis will help keep parasites and disease from getting into your DT where they could wipe out lots of work and money very quickly.
Good Luck!

prime311

I would talk to the manager at that LFS and scream up a storm. If you bought these from the LFS owner/manager then I would have my much scarier when mad fiance yell at them. This was a horribly irresponsible sale for them and there is no excuse. There is no reason why they couldn't setup a seperate tank thats already cycled to temporarily keep your fish in considering they were the idiots that sold them to you without proper care instructions in the first place. If I were you, I would be EXTREMELY PISSED about the wasted $$$.

scotikis

Sorry about your losses. Although I've never bought fish on SWF.com, I read favorable comments on this board. Before buying anything else from your LFS (lying frikn'store), I'd bounce the idea around on this board,,then look online for competitive prices. I'm upset to know that a fish store put it to you. Good luck.