First Sump/Refugum

stingrayjs

I am setting up my first sump/refugum on my 75. Being I don't have the tools to build my own, I opted to buy one. Could someone give me some help on setting it up? FOr exsample what chamber is used for hte rufugum, and which is used for the sump. I have been trying to figure it out, but I keep seeing diffrent diagrams on the setup. My goal is to have it setup by this weekend. I know I need to make a part list and get the plumbing, which is another issue I have.

r's 75tank

I saw this same setup online, was thinking of purchasing. What all comes with it? Is everything in the picture included and what else would I need? I also have a 75g tank, I just got started about 3 months ago.
I hope you don't mind me posting this on your thread.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hot883

Originally Posted by R's 75tank
I saw this same setup online, was thinking of purchasing. What all comes with it? Is everything in the picture included and what else would I need? I also have a 75g tank, I just got started about 3 months ago.
I hope you don't mind me posting this on your thread.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the hobby and the thread. Yes, everything pictured does come with it. You will need to buy or make a line to connect the overflow box to the sump and then 1 more from the return pump back up to the tank.
These sump/refugium setups come in many sizes. I have the one rated for 150 gallons for my 55 gallon tank. Not that hard at all to set up and I am very pleased with mine.

stingrayjs

Yep lots and lots of email! Working on getting it all setup still. My biggest hurdle so far is finding a store that sells micro alge localy. Yea I can order some, but first im going to try all the local ones here in MD.

dragonzim

Not sure if its against the rules of the board, but can you post what brand that is, and did you get it online or at LFS? Also, did it come with the PC light or did you add that on yourself?
I've got a 75 also. Currently running an aquaclear and an eheim canister and I've been thinking about a sump to get all the stuff out of my main tank.

stingrayjs

I can't post the link on the site, I think its not alowed. But you can post your email and I will send it to you. As for hte lights it comes with it. They are two 65k Day's, and two arch. Its a nice setup for the price. I didn't have $500 to spend on one in the lfs. So I looked around and came accross that one. Working on a budget dose suck from time to time...

But I like what I got I have seen nicer ones that say they are the uber pro-model. But Looking at what other people are running, I don't think I really need that. As long as it has enough filtration rating for my 75gallon, and dose the job thats fine by me. The setup I see people using has a section for the sump, one for the refugium, and one for the return. I plain on putting in some LS, and LF, along with cheato micro alge, which I think will do the tick on my setup which already has about 50-60 lbs of live rock. Im slowly turning my tank into a reef. Currently I have 1x Neon green BTA, 1x Zoo cluster with varius colors of zoos on it, and 1x cluster of blue mushrooms. Which a little time, and alot of $$ I think I wil ahve a nice reef going.

m.rogers

stingrayjs you can stop by the local fish club site in MD. at cmas-md.org and i am sure someone will give you some micro alge if i had any you would be welcome to some free.
mike

hot883

Originally Posted by DragonZim
Not sure if its against the rules of the board, but can you post what brand that is, and did you get it online or at LFS? Also, did it come with the PC light or did you add that on yourself?
I've got a 75 also. Currently running an aquaclear and an eheim canister and I've been thinking about a sump to get all the stuff out of my main tank.
We got these off of the Famous Auction site.

arkangel

StingrayJs could you email me the link for the sump refuge you had gotten , I am including my email which is arkangel@citlink.net ... And by now you must have an opinion on that refuge , So what do you think of it ? Is it worth it , or should I try making one . Thanks