First SWT 29g biocube question

tampashane

I have been thinking about upgrading the lighting, infact i want to very bad but i dont think I can. From what I have read im under the impression I cant upgrade the lighting without completley tossing the hood. I dont know much about the different bulbs yet just know the names. Is there a light upgrade that would fit into the biocube lid? If so ill buy it tomorrow, or am I going to be stuck with a diys project? any help would be appreciated.

tampashane

soo thx for that site, lots of good stuff on there. as i was browsing i came accross the K-2 Viper Delux HQ1 Clamp On Lamp. have you ever seen this? its a 150 or 250 watt metal halide with 2 Vu led moonlights and a 2 speed fan for $299. I would love to get an opinion on wether or not I should purchase something like this. I like the idea for my biocube, what do you think about that price?

nissan577

check on other websites as well. the light is amazing. get the 150w one. 250w will be a kill for your tank. the 150w will be great and add some egg crate or like what Henry has some mesh so that the fish wont jump

tampashane

Well now the tank has been going for a while, all the water params are good and still nothing has died so I am fully addicted and cant stop going from shop to shop scouting my next purchase! Today I couldnt resist and got two new additions. A frogspawn and xenia. Im not sure why the frog is listed as difficult as all it needs is strong light and med flow dont even have to feed it but im giving it a go. got a couple pics... and the anem isnt new just discovered macro on my camera and really liked the pic. hope everything looks good.

nissan577

looking nice. just dont go to much in buying stuff
take it slow. you dont wanna ruin your tank fast. buy atleast one or two things every week. other then that!
super!

asharp13

tank looks freat and i love the BTA, just picked one up myself. mines a RBTA and its in pretty bad shape but i got it for $9, could pass it up haha. i love your rockwork, it seems almost like a two-face reef, very cool!!!!!

tampashane

Thanks, I wanted a bunch of caves and places for the fish to roam inside the rocks. My 6-line swims around the rocks like its a maze I love watching him.

tampashane

So its been a couple weeks since adding something to my tank and came accross this today and had to have it. I am looking for help with an ID it was sold to me as a leather mushroom any know exactly what this is?

tampashane

So im hopeing to get an id on this. I got this frogspawn a couple weeks ago and its growing like crazy. On the back of it there are these to clove looking things growing now. They have 5 tips and close up at night. The first pic is just the frog and the second are the 2 clove thingys. the one on the upper left is kinda closed and i used my phone camera so ill try to get a better pic later. ty for any help.

soviettaco

No idea on the ID I can't see it very well but I got to say your tank is looking great! how have your params been?

new2salt1

So they swapped a $20 anenome for a $100 anenome? I wish my guy did that!
I love the youtube video. The clown looks like he is very comfortable. Do you always feed the mysis like that with the filter on? I usually keep my PH on but I shut off the overflow so the food isn't getting sucked up and rotting. Im not sure if that's what I was seeing or not.
nice tank.

tampashane

Thank you for the feedback. As far as turning off the filter when feeding, I have not don't that. I'm still pretty new and haven't really seen tbhat kinfo in a thread so I will have to start doing that. And as far as my params go everything stays almost 0 except my trates hover between5-10 I do a water change once a week or they would be 20+. I run no skimmer or fuge and everythings good so far. Believe I'm going on month 5 with no deaths. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop. Saw a beautiful torch I might get today with a coupls rics then I'm pretty much out of space.

tampashane

So after the talk about my params I realized I have a lot going on right now and haven't done a w/c or tested in probably 2 weeks. So all scared and ashamed I get home and tested to find my trates at 0! In disbeliefe and thinking my tests were old I went and got a new one. Same results. I dunno how but it shows. My anemone has doubled in size and some of my other corals are growing like crazy. I am so lucky its badass. Still no one has an id on that coral up there? It looks like a 5 leaf clover and is about half the size of a dime.

bender77

Originally Posted by Tampashane
http:///forum/post/3185332
So after the talk about my params I realized I have a lot going on right now and haven't done a w/c or tested in probably 2 weeks. So all scared and ashamed I get home and tested to find my trates at 0! In disbeliefe and thinking my tests were old I went and got a new one. Same results. I dunno how but it shows. My anemone has doubled in size and some of my other corals are growing like crazy. I am so lucky its badass. Still no one has an id on that coral up there? It looks like a 5 leaf clover and is about half the size of a dime.
Does it look like an alveopora

tampashane

Hmm I guess it could look like that, maby to early to tell. There isn't much of a center kinda like 5 green stubs on a stick. I don't know how a frogspawn looks as a baby when it first starts out but it is attached to tbe rock my frog lives on. Guess ill just have to wait and see. I did just discover 2 baby featherdusters while looking at the frog so that's a plus.

tampashane

I have a question about a fish. I have a signal goby which I love but I also want a yellowwatchmen but I dont know about having 2 types of gobys in the same tank. Its a 30g is this a bad idea? I only have 3 fish and want 1 more to complete my tank. I have 1 signal goby, 1 6line wrasse, and one maroon clown. what should my 4th fish be? i would love a flame angel but im assuming 30g is to small for them.

fretfreak13

If you like the yellow color, I'd suggust a Midas Blenny. Awesome fish, cause I think adding another goby wouldn't be the best idea but hey, some people get lucky. You could keep a flame angel in a 30, although many eat coral. Some don't it's all in the personality of the fish, but its definetly a gamble on your part. One more fish should be fine, I have four in my 29 and I'm probably going up to six. I know that's pushing it, but I have a 20 gallon sump, skimmer, lots of cheato, fuge, and HOB with both carbon and chemipure. lol

tampashane

Ok so its been a couple weeks and I got some new additions with pics. I wish I could change the heading of this thread to diary since thats what its become. Anyways im gonna start off with a pic of my tank at the start of it all. Then my new additions a flame angel, a few rics, and a hammer. then after moving some things i have this finished product fts. I would like to add something else like maby a red acan but dunno if I have room. lemme know what you think im gonna add another video in a couple days. Pics were taken with phone camera sry.