First time, about to do water change, need fast answer

trish&dave

Just tested our Instant Ocean water before doing a change. Calcium is less than 350. Tank is 425. We have Concentrated Liquid Calcium by Kent. Should we add that to our fresh water before doing the change. We also have purple up and calcium reactor. Should we add anything or just adjust later? In our tank, we have a toad stool, frogspawn, kenya tree, feather dusters, few zoos, green star polyps, and some shrooms.
We are thinking we could just adjust calcium later. We have a 56 gallon tank and are planning a 10% water change. FIrst timer, very nervous!!!!! Thanks for the help!!!!!!

nycbob

i'd measure calcium the day after doing the water change. if need be, then adjust accordingly. reef crystal for me, maintains a 400-450 calcium level. the corals u hv tho r not really calcium consumers.

lexluethar

Haha congrats. I was right there with you a while back, thinking god i hope i don't f this up.
I would dose your new water just a little bit, continue testing until it reaches around 400 (which should be your goal). Then do the water change. Don't be nervous, just make sure that your new water matches your old waters temp, cal, salinity, alk, and ph.
I just learned that you really should take out all of the old water first, THEN put the new water in, this way you aren't taking out the new water with the old by taking water out and putting water in at the same time. Maybe that is common sense, but i didn't realize it.
Check your salt bag, and keep an eye on your calcium on your next few batches of new salt water - 350 is a little low, mines always around 450 (i use instant ocean too).
Good luck.

trish&dave

We tested PH, Alk, and Calcium of new water. PH is 8.4, Alk is 2.7, and calc is 350. Our current water is PH 8.0, Alk is 1.9, and calc is 400. That is why we are doing our first water change. Balance of Alk, calcium, and Mag (dont have a test for, on the way) have to be out of whack. Not sure how you can make new water match these parameters.
With 10% it should not shock the fish or coral, right?

lexluethar

No it won't, you could do a 50% change and it won't shock the corals, that is why it is imperative to have similar parameters of the old and new water.

trish&dave

LEX, thanks for your response! What parameters are you talking about? I dont think I want to have Alk and PH at the same level as currently in the tank, because they are not in the proper range. I have tested SG and salinity and they match exactly, temperature is less than 1 degree off. Isn't that what is supposed to match?
We are planning to add the water to the sump, not directly in the tank. I have read that is the best way. Think I am safe to go?
Any comments?

trish&dave

Here we go, I think I am overly worried and should not be. I am going to wait another 10 minutes and go for it. Thanks to everyone who replied!!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by trish&dave
http:///forum/post/2508244
I think I am overly worried and should not be.

I agree with this, though perhaps not in the same context. Looking at the list of corals you have, I don't really see the need to even worry about higher levels of CA right now. Unless you are going to start adding hard corals that actually require a lot of calcium, I don't think that this is something to worry about right now. IMO, purple coraline is overrated. Its desirability is really the sure fire single that you are a new hobbyist. ;) Your tank will evolve, coraline changing colors, and even dying off as the uptake for calcium goes to other things. It is this natural evolution that is intriguing to the hobbyist, not how creatively manipulative the hobbyist can be to get the decor to taste.
At the point that you start adding high CA demanding corals, then look at getting a reef salt mix which will already have more CA in it. With reef systems, achieving a natural system that is as self supporting as possible is the ideal.