First time testing levles help!!!!

alienup

no3-190
no2-0
ppm hardness-250
alkaline-120
ph7.2
Is this good? and if not how do I fix the problem.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by alienup
no3-190
no2-0
ppm hardness-250
alkaline-120
ph7.2
Is this good? and if not how do I fix the problem.
We need some more information. How old is this tank, what is in it, what kind of substrate do you have, what kind of test kit are you using, what is your ammonia? Your alkalinity and ph are low. You will need to add a buffer. What is your salinity? Oh yeah, Welcome to the boards!!

alienup

The tank has been going for about 4 months i have 3 fish in it a porcupine puffer a spoted green puffer and a small black fish. i dont know any thing besides that. o ye the ammmonia is 0-.10
and im using test strips 5 in one.

sepulatian

The tank has been going for about 4 months i have 3 fish in it a porcupine puffer a spoted green puffer and a small black fish. i dont know any thing besides that. o ye the ammmonia is 0-.10
and im using test strips 5 in one.
ok, ditch the test strips and pick up a liquid master test kit. Aquarium pharmepsuticals has one for about $25 . The test strips are highly inacurate and do not give anywhere near specific enough readings for salt fish.

alienup

ok ill returen the ones i got and get new ones but whats the best brand to get the one at my pet co was $47 for the test kits so i got these for 25$

sepulatian

ok ill returen the ones i got and get new ones but whats the best brand to get the one at my pet co was $47 for the test kits so i got these for 25$
I use the API ones, they are easy to read and acurate. I have never had difficulties with these. Are you planning on doing a reef setup? If so, many people recoment the salifert test for calcium, but still the API for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.