First try at LPS... not so good?

hagfish

Well, I bought my first 2 LPS corals this past weekend. A closed brain and a small frogspawn (I think, hard to tell because so small). I'm not sure they are doing very good. The brain looked fine until today, but now there's about a 1-2" area that has a white mucus or maybe fungus like layer on it. Also, the skeleton looks a little bit lighter than it had before. Also, the frogspawn hasn't opened up at all yet, but it has also had some type of white film over it.
Tank specs, 20 tall, 110 watts PC 18 watts NO.
Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all 0.
PH 8.2.
SG 1.25
temp 79.
I do about a 5-10% water change every week or two.
I had both on bottom in a fairly low flow area. I've tried moving the brain up into the current for now, but not the frogspawn yet.
I know hard corals are effected by calcium. I have a test kit coming in the mail so I can't speak for it yet. I've also heard mention of Strontium, but don't have kit for it either.
Any ideas what might be wrong?

tru conch

can you post any pics? it sounds like the brain might be dying off. if thats the case look in the disease section. my knowledge of coral disease is limited, so you might find more info there.
as far as the calicum goes it should not be a factor this early. lps corals do need calcium but not nearly as much as you would think. hth.

hagfish

I can't post any pics unfortunately. Some of the white covering on the brain has now come off and in those areas the skeleton is white now and the green part is gone. It looks pretty much like normal on most of it still though.