Fiscus trigger... darkening. Need help please.

frenchman

One of my co-worker has a fiscus and a huma triggers in a 20gal tank. He takes care of them since last May. Tonight he asked me to stop by and see his fishes because they look "strange". Well... I saw the fiscus trigger color also dark BLUE :eek: He is so dark that it almost looked like the color of the Niger trigger :eek: The huma does not look very good too but it looked more like small scratches on his body. Do you have any idea what could cause such a color change? I do not have the parameter of the tank but all I know is:
- 20gal tank
- 10,000K fluo light
- Sal is .023
- he fed them frozen dry shrimps only every day for the last couple of months :eek:
- I dropped formula1 tonight and they both ate
- he uses the Penguin bio filter 330 (I think) It has two wheels. He changed the cardrige 20 days ago.
- I saw some "dirt" on the bottom of his tank so I assume he must have some ammonia there.
:( That's all I know, I did not have my test kit to check other parameter. Any idea why a fiscus would turn blue-ish???

frenchman

That's a bit what I thought and it makes sense but he does not have the (financial) means to use a larger tank. These two triggers were actually given to him. I guess that in the worse case, the stress will result in possible development of diseases or is there a chance that he regains his coloration after a while.
Another question: my friend's tank is bare: there is nothing, no rock, no sub... If we were to put a couple of dead rocks providing therefore some hidding place, would it be of any benefit? Any other tips

Triggers and nothing for them to squeeze into. My triggers always wedge inbetween or underneath the rocks. as said before its too small of a tank and nothing too sleep or hide and rest in, I think I would be pretty unhappy too. If a bigger tank isnt provided I sure would add some base rock at least.....fixit :(

frenchman

Thanks for your feedback. I was quite amazed too that it was a bare tank, no rock no substrate. And yes, 20gal is not big for trigger. I'll suggest him a bigger tank if he can afford it.
Thanks again!