Fish acting crazy

joedunegan

I have a Powder Blue Tang that just started acting crazy. He darts across the tank and spins on his side and then turns cart wheels, so to speak. I don't see any signs of ich. Any suggestions?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a grounding probe installed in your tank, sump? How long have you had this fish?

joedunegan

I don't have a grounding probe. don't even know what that is and never heard of it. I am a beginner at saltwater tanks but have 1 1/2 experience with freshwater. I noticed lastnight that another one of my fish was scratching up against a rock constantly. Now my naso tang is laying on the bottom barely alive. My tank readings are normal so my guess is that I have an infestation of ich. I have had the Powder blue for about 11 days. He is still alive and still whirling around. I am dumb founded. I am treating for ich anyway because the other fish are bound to be stressed out. Do you have any other suggestions?

urodude

I'm no expert but without seeing lesions, I doubt ich is the cause for multiple fish to suddenly crash like that. More likely a water quality issue. How old is the tank, what kind of water did you use, what are your readings(amm, -trate,-trite,ph,SG)?
Doing a 30-40% water change as a crisis managment measure might save some fish.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you see parasites? Look at the fish in the Diseased Fish Thread if you are uncertain what ich looks like....or post a some digital pictures.
Scratching is a symptom of ich.
You should, as well install a grounding probe in your tank. They are only around $12.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
They remove stray voltage caused by your electrical equipment. You need to plug them into a grounded outlet. Most important, they keep hobbyists safe from being electrocuted.
Sometimes fish exposed to the stray voltage will dart around erratically.