Fish After Ich

thumpco

Hello, I am currently treating ich in my 37 gallon tank. Also, on December 5th it will have been 5 weeks of treatment as directed on the bottle, but I go a few days after that to be safe. So my question is what would be the perfect first fish to add after the ich treatment?

btldreef

What are you treating them with? Most treatments are completely ineffective.
What fish do you already have?

thumpco

Yeah I've heard that, but I couldn't risk it so I went with a reef safe Kordon's Ich Attack-something like that. The only fish that survived was my firefish goby. I have no idea how he didn't get infected. I also have 2 peppermint shrimp 1 turbo snail and 4 margarita snails
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/389153/fish-after-ich#post_3437003
What are you treating them with? Most treatments are completely ineffective.
What fish do you already have?

btldreef

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but your tank still has ich. Your one remaining fish is just healthy enough to fight off the visible signs of it, but it absolutely is still present in your tank. Adding a new fish will probably make it pop up again. There is no such thing as a reef safe treatment for ich.
You have a few options:
- Set up a quarantine tank. Place your one remaining fish in QT and treat with copper or hypo salinity. Leave your display tank fishless for 6-8 weeks, this will ensure that the ich is no longer in your tank. QT any other fish before they go in the display tank.
- Take out your remaining fish and return to LFS. Leave tank fishless for 6-8 weeks. This will ensure no more ich in your tank, but without quarantining any new fish, you could add ich right back into the tank.
- Don't treat, don't quarantine and pray. But I must warn you, adding a new fish will cause stress and stress could make ich rear it's ugly head again.

novahobbies

Many ich treatments are ineffective, but not all. Let's see what the name of the treatment he's using is.
thumpco, I went and read some of your other posts. Looks like you're learning some of the pitfalls of this hobby the hard way, but don't give up! It can be extremely rewarding if you research your choices before hand. First, I'm sorry to hear about the ich outbreak. I'm sure it started with your tang, since he was most likely stressed and susceptible to the disease. I know you said it spread and killed your clowns...did it eventually get your firefish goby as well, or is that one still kicking?
I have some bad news. 5 weeks of ich treatment may not have killed the parasite. Marine ich has a specific life cycle, including a medication resistant cyst stage that can hang out in the sand bed for weeks before "hatching" and getting in the water column again. If the tank is fallow (empty of all fish life), the common rule of thumb is 60 days if I remember correctly...perhaps 90....of no fish before it's safe to introduce new livestock. This will ensure that any cysts will hatch but die off because there's nothing to attach to.
If you introduce new fish now, you may be risking a new disease outbreak. If you choose to do this, I recommend you go VERY slow. Especially if you can't QT the fish first. If *I* was stocking a 37g tank, I would probably consider either a lemonpeel or flame angel (one or the other, NOT both) as my "showpiece" fish, then I would consider a royal gramma, a pair of orange-lined cardinalfish, and possibly a pair of greenbanded gobys. If you still have your firefish, I would nix the RG. In order to stock the tank slowly, I would introduce the Gramma first (again, assuming the firefish is gone), and wait a full month. If the firefish is still there, then start with the two cardinals. Again...wait a FULL month and observe the fish. If no disease is present, add the two greenbanded gobies. Wait a month again. I know this seems like a lot, but we're doing 2 things by waiting. 1st, we're assessing how disease-free your tank really is, and 2nd, we're letting your biofilter build up between each addition. Finally, you will add the most aggressive "show" fish...the flame or lemonpeel.
Again, that's just a sample stock list. Your mileage may vary.

btldreef

I have yet to see an effective ich treatment that doesn't kill inverts. I just wouldn't take the risk

novahobbies

Thats what I get for posting a small book....the world moves foreward while I'm typing. Yep...Koron's Ich Attach is crapola. It will NOT actually kill the ich. BTL is correct....if you introduce new fish (since your firefish never left the tank) you are risking another ich outbreak. Your best bet will be to remove the firefish to a small tank...10 gallons will do...with the existing filter and let your display tank sit with just the invertebrates for 2-3 months. What size filter is that HOB you have? You may want to think about putting a bigger HOB on the display tank while you're at it.

thumpco

This was very helpful. Yep my firesfish is very mush alive. If I just wait it out with my goby for a while will the ich go away?
Many ich treatments are ineffective, but not all. Let's see what the name of the treatment he's using is.

thumpco, I went and read some of your other posts. Looks like you're learning some of the pitfalls of this hobby the hard way, but don't give up! It can be extremely rewarding if you research your choices before hand. First, I'm sorry to hear about the ich outbreak. I'm sure it started with your tang, since he was most likely stressed and susceptible to the disease. I know you said it spread and killed your clowns...did it eventually get your firefish goby as well, or is that one still kicking?

I have some bad news. 5 weeks of ich treatment may not have killed the parasite. Marine ich has a specific life cycle, including a medication resistant cyst stage that can hang out in the sand bed for weeks before "hatching" and getting in the water column again. If the tank is fallow (empty of all fish life), the common rule of thumb is 60 days if I remember correctly...perhaps 90....of no fish before it's safe to introduce new livestock. This will ensure that any cysts will hatch but die off because there's nothing to attach to.

If you introduce new fish now, you may be risking a new disease outbreak. If you choose to do this, I recommend you go VERY slow. Especially if you can't QT the fish first. If *I* was stocking a 37g tank, I would probably consider either a lemonpeel or flame angel (one or the other, NOT both) as my "showpiece" fish, then I would consider a royal gramma, a pair of orange-lined cardinalfish, and possibly a pair of greenbanded gobys. If you still have your firefish, I would nix the RG. In order to stock the tank slowly, I would introduce the Gramma first (again, assuming the firefish is gone), and wait a full month. If the firefish is still there, then start with the two cardinals. Again...wait a FULL month and observe the fish. If no disease is present, add the two greenbanded gobies. Wait a month again. I know this seems like a lot, but we're doing 2 things by waiting. 1st, we're assessing how disease-free your tank really is, and 2nd, we're letting your biofilter build up between each addition. Finally, you will add the most aggressive "show" fish...the flame or lemonpeel.

Again, that's just a sample stock list. Your mileage may vary.

thumpco

come on man have a little faith :)I have yet to see an effective ich treatment that doesn't kill inverts. I just wouldn't take the risk

btldreef

come on man have a little faith :)I have yet to see an effective ich treatment that doesn't kill inverts. I just wouldn't take the risk
Sorry :-/
See Nova's second post...

florida joe

I on the other hand am SURE it started with the introduction of the ick parasite and this introduction may have in fact had nothing to do with the tang
Quote:
I'm sure it started with your tang, since he was most likely stressed and susceptible to the disease.

thumpco

No. I think it was stated with the tang b/c he had inadequate swimming space and contracted the disease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/389153/fish-after-ich#post_3437105
I on the other hand am SURE it started with the introduction of the ick parasite and this introduction may have in fact had nothing to do with the tang