Fish Anatomy

dogstar

While watching my fish, I began to wonder.............
Who knows what the two yellow ( on this fish ) features or organs are in front of the eyes that are clearly seen on some but do not seem to be present on others or not as prominent and what they do or use them for ??....I think that could be some type of nate or nostril but do they accually use them some how?
Thanks.

dogstar

:cheer: Good call yall.....I wonder if things smell fishy to them....

next, what about on the LMB '' above '' the eyes, same thing or something else ??

S

surfinusa

i think the blenny uses it as camoflauge or something :thinking:

jon321

Agreed, I believe the 'horns' are just part of all cryptic fishes disguise. If you notice, most fish that try to blend in with their environment have some type of projections above the eyes.
Jon

puffer32

Heres one. Anyone know why my jawfish has neon reflectors over his eyes? I have an idea, but would like to hear others opinions.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by Dogstar
:cheer: Good call yall.....I wonder if things smell fishy to them....

next, what about on the LMB '' above '' the eyes, same thing or something else ??
I dont believe they are for scent. It wouldn't be logical to be able to smell from the top of you're head. However it looks like there are some smaller ones down on his face which may be for scent. Also in naure hidding the eyes is a key component to camoflauge. You see fake eyes on the rear of the fish as well as things like the LMB lines in his eyes. Hidding the eyes gives predators a much harder time at killing their prey.