fish and eating??

mr. limpid

depends. what type of fish there current health and age. A full grown healthy angle could survive for a month without food (I wouldn't recommend it). The health of the fish would be greatly reduced and would leave the fish open to sickness. Need more info on type of fish and how long.

nemo1234

its a yellow coris wrasse. Its just been in hiding for 2 days now... I'm getting worried. is there anything I can do to coax it out. Its buried somewhere in my tank.

mr. limpid

is this a new arrival. Because I had a wrasse hide for two weeks b4 it came out. Then it did fine. Your ok for know I wouldn't worry yet. I take it you have a sand bottom? Are all your rocks sitting on the bottom glass?

nemo1234

yes, its a new arrival, got Little Miss Sunshine 2 days ago. Yes I have sand on the bottom, my rock is in the sand on the bottom, and its stacked... is that what you mean?

nemo1234

it won't starve being buried like that, will it? should I put some food in there in hopes that it may come out at night, or even come out then, or should I wait till I see him to feed him. All I have are hermit crabs and that.

sepulatian

How big is the fish? He should come out when he is ready, if he is a baby (under 2") then there isn't too much that you can do besies wait and see. Do you have other fish? These wasses like meaty foods but are known to bury themselves. Wait a day or two more then pick up one or two (if you have other fish then 6 or more) ghost shrimp. They are cheap and are alive which will stimulate the fish's natural predatory response.

nemo1234

She's under 2 inches, just barely. I don't have any other fish in there right now, just 3 hermit crabs right now. Ghost shrimp? where do you get them, any pet store? and do you have to acclimate them?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by nemo1234
She's under 2 inches, just barely. I don't have any other fish in there right now, just 3 hermit crabs right now. Ghost shrimp? where do you get them, any pet store? and do you have to acclimate them?
You do not have to acclimate ghost shrimp. Do you ever see her? Does she poke her head out? Keep the lights off for now. They are finicky when they are young like that. Live food will help. Ghost shrimp should be available at your LFS.

nemo1234

no, I haven't seen her poke her head out... I don't even know where she is burried at. She is new to the tank, the only fish in there. I just put her in about 3 days ago now. I'm just afraid that she will starve herself.

lesleybird

I think that ghost shrimp are too big for a 2 inch fish. Maybe some live brine. I wouldn't worry as often wrasses hide for a few days before they come out when you first put them in. A fish can live at least a month without eating so don't think it will starve.

nemo1234

ok, I'll keep my eyes open, and won't startle her when she decides to show herself, whenever that will be. I'm thinking of getting another fish soon, good idea or bad idea? should I wait till she comes out and is comfortable first?

sepulatian

no, I haven't seen her poke her head out... I don't even know where she is burried at. She is new to the tank, the only fish in there. I just put her in about 3 days ago now. I'm just afraid that she will starve herself.
If she is healthy then her instincts will prevail over fear. She will at least dart out then back in. SW fish can go over a week without eating, some species can go several weeks. Don't worry just yet. Keep the lights off and let her adjust. When you do see her at first, don't go up to the tank. You want her to feel safe. Don't walk right up to the tank, the shadow will scare her more.

sepulatian

ok, I'll keep my eyes open, and won't startle her when she decides to show herself, whenever that will be. I'm thinking of getting another fish soon, good idea or bad idea? should I wait till she comes out and is comfortable first?
No more fish yet! This fish will need plenty of time to settle. Set up a qt if you don't have one already. Trust me, it is much easier to spot and treat disease, and gives your fish time to relax and get used to aquarium life before it has to share a home. It is well worth it!

nemo1234

all right, I will hold off on getting another fish for a while... any suggestions of its feeding when it does come out? I bought some brine shrimp plus, that my LFS reccommended for these types of fish, along with putting some romaine lettuce in the tank as well.

sepulatian

all right, I will hold off on getting another fish for a while... any suggestions of its feeding when it does come out? I bought some brine shrimp plus, that my LFS reccommended for these types of fish, along with putting some romaine lettuce in the tank as well.
Ditch the romain, that is a common misconception. Romain is actualy very hard for SW fish to digest. What exactly is "brine shrimp plus"? An additive? I have never hard of that one. The reason that I did not suggest brine is that they have no nutritional value unless you gut load the brine first. Then your fish get some nutrients from what the shrimp has eaten. Ghost shrimp are tiny shrimp that actualy have nutritional value. When the fish does come out then add some vitamine enriched mysis shrimp. Add it near the powerhead to make it blow around. Once he eats that then you can dose the vitamines that you want him to get onto the frozen foods that are healthy for him

nemo1234

INGREDIENTS:Marine shrimp, enriched brine shrimp, marine clams, squid, zoo-plankton (E. pacifica and E. superba), spinach, fish oil, mussel, green algae, astaxanthin, canthaxanthin (for color enhancement)).Vitamins (choline chloride, ascorbic acid, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate, niacin, D-biotin supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, folic acid, d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), vitamin B-12 supplement and beta-carotene supplement), Amino Acids (dl-methionine taurine and lysine HCL), Trace Elements (zinc sulfate, selenium supplement, manganese sulfate, iron sulfate and copper sulfate).
BEST USED FOR: Miniature-Reef Aquariums, Damsels, Anemonefish, Chromis Anthias, Basselet, Jawfish, Gobies, Blennies, Wrasses, Butterflyfish, and Freshwater Community Tanks
found this to help explain what it is.... I think I will get some mysis shrimp today... that's frozen stuff, right? or do you think that mine will be ok?