fish and tanks

drea

Well, I know we always talk about what fish needs what size tank.....
How come at most lfs you see large hippo, angel, tangs, etc, in small tanks such as 20 gallon and i've see them in there for months at a time till sold..
now don't get me wrong i agree that fish need their specific size tanks to swim in, but how come these fish live?

ebsochin

My thought would be because the LFS expects quick sales. It's hard enough to catch a fish in a small tank with a little bit of LR. Try catching one in a larger tank...

thangbom

main reason is that they plan for quantity of tanks for a given space... thats why the tanks are soo small.. i mean.. they have to many different fish that cant be with another fish.. so they have to spread them.. and more fish = more $$ to make by selling them.. as for how they survive?? well.. once the fish is acclamated.. then it's hader for them to die.. there water is perdy stable.. i mean.. most store use 1 big filter system.. for all the tanks in the strore.. that a lot of water.. so ... thats why they live soo good.. but hot happy.. to cramped for them to swim to much.. also another thing is that have u notic a fish stoors lights?? i mean.. the place is generally dark.. it not really bright at all.. that is another big factor .. less light = they cant see.... if they dont see good then they dont swimm much...