fish bio-load

swfishfan

in about 2 weeks i will be adding my fish in, i just added yesterday my cleaner crew.... so my question is what would make a good addition to my 15g tank ? and how many fish not to overload? everybodys ideas and comments will be gladly appreciated....
(btw the tank is a fish w/lr&ls only, no corals)

it's_fishy

well i can only add my 2 cents but from everything i've read on here maybe 2 small fish would be good for a 15g. I think they say 1" of fish per 5 gallons but that could be wrong

cableguy35

I started my first reef tank a little less than 6months ago, 40 Gallon long with LR LS clean up crew then a month 1/2 after it was running I hit the LFS I bought a yellow tang 2 clown fish a bangal cardinal and a dwarf angle WOW what a mistake that was in less than 2 weeks of having the fish I lost all of them expensive mistake I over loaded my tank big time.
so from one newbie to another start with one fish and one a month till you have the stock you want, start with a hardy easy to keep fish.
Im by far no expert and i wish knew what most of the people here have forgotten but to save your self some heart ache and make it easy on your wallet start slow.

r u new to saltwater all together? if so go with the 1 inch of fish per 5 gallon rule , if you have some experiance go with the 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons rule. either way gobies are always good or one ocelaris clown and a small gobie like a yellow clown gobie gobie

swfishfan

thanks for the input so far , so my plan would be to start off with one fish in about two weeks and then add another fish a month later correct... not in such a big hurry to get fish in there, i just wanted and idea now befre the day comes want to start putting fish in, this will give me a good time frame to choose wisely on who gets to join the family and will survive....

swfishfan

so clown fishes and small gobies are good, start off fish right? which one would be more entertaining to watch in my tank?

it's_fishy

clown fish are very entertaining....can't sayabout gobies cause i've never had one. what kind of tank are you planning on running? That should make a diff. in what you pick too.
But IMO i'd start with clowns as they seem to have a lot of personality and they do funny things.

swfishfan

ALRIGHTY THEN I WILL START WITH CLOWN FISH FIRST BECAUSE I HAVE READ ABOUT THEM AND THE WIFE LIKES THEM SO I WILL START WITH THEM IN MY TANK .... AND MY TANK FOR NOW IS JUST GONNA BE A FO W LR.....WHAT ABOUT SHRIMP? WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD SHRIMP TO ADD TO MY TANK RIGHT NOW... I HAVE A 15 G TANK WITH 4 BLUE LEG HERMITS AND 1 SUPPOSED RED LEG HERMIT... I AM GONNA ADD 4 MORE CRABS, 10 SNAILS OF A VARIETY, SO WHAT WOULD GO GOOD WITH THESE GUYS... ANOTHER QUESTION WOULD BE IF I COULD GET A MEXICAN TURBO SNAIL WITH OUT IT EATING EVRYTHING IN SITE? :happy:

it's_fishy

well i have having nothing but good things to say about peppermint shrimp. They eat aptasia and are very interactive. mine will climb onto my hand when i feed them....only things in the tank that don't freak out when i put my hand in, lol.
my only regret about them is: I've heard that they will clean fish just like cleaner shrimp but my coral beauty is always backing up into them for a cleaning and they never do :notsure:
I would also recommend getting 3-4 of them. i initially got just one and i never saw it. then i read that they do best in groups of 3-4 so i added 3 more. as soon as i put the other 3 in, my first peppermint came out and they've been hanging together ever since.
Best of luck!

it's_fishy

i'm afraid i have no experience with cleaner shrimp....but a little voice in my head tells me that they probably need a larger tank.
But then.....what the hell do i know :rolleyes:

E

exile415

cleaner shrimp is easy to care for. i love it and they are so entertaining

xjayx

Originally Posted by SWFISHFAN
so clown fishes and small gobies are good, start off fish right? which one would be more entertaining to watch in my tank?

I'd say clowns...
They're really fun to watch.
I think the way they swim is kind of funny.