fish burping

bionerd

Goofy question I know...but my fish (percula, lawnmower blenny, green chromis) all have a tendency to open their mouths wide - only for a moment, like they're burping. They aren't doing it constantly (maybe once a hour) - so I would assume it isn't a sign of stress of low O2 levels...I was just curious if this was normal or not. I've never really witnessed fish doing this before and wanted to know if it is normal, and why they're doing it. Thanks! ;)

clarkiiboi

I believe that is a normal part of breathing for a fish, as long as it doesnt look as though they are in distress. They probably have their mouths open when you cant see their mouths. Are they looking as though there is a problem? more info.

bluemarlin

As far as I know it is nothing to worry about. I have an anthias that does this all the time. I've had it for about 14 months and it seems happy. Maybe its just a stretching action rather then a "need" for oxygen.

mrfish

Mine does this aswell, also when it takes food from the surface it will take air aswell with the food, and then do the same thing until the air bubbles come out of its mouth.