Fish compatability

mryg15

I need help picking out some fish for our tank.
We have 55 gal tank, 20 lbs of live rock 30 lbs of base and argonite sand. It's been up for about 2 months and its just about cycled.
We have already decided on 2 percs and a coral beauty. Our six year old wants a Dori (hippo tang) but i know we dont have a big enough tank for it.
We are trying to figure out what other fish will work with the ones we have already chosen but that are of moderate care (we are just starting out).

I

ivanfj

How bout a gobies??? Clown gobies are my favourite. Tons of personality and they are really fun to watch when they rest on corals.
If you are looking for an active fish, sixline wrasse is a good choice IMO. But I've never had any luck with them. That would be it for fish IMO. A total of 5 fish would be a good bioload for a 55.

dacia

Royal grammas are pretty and fun to watch. I also would recommend a lawnmower blenny if you have sufficient algae growth for it. You might be able to keep a blue tang, but not with the coral beauty. They probably could share a larger tank though.

cindyski

Originally posted by mryg15
Our six year old wants a Dori (hippo tang)

sorry, just have to laugh because my 7 year old nephew thinks that my yellow tail damsels are Dori's :D

barry cuda

My wife took our two-year-old to Seaworld the other day while I was out of town...I'm told they walked into one of the aquarium exhibits and while all the other kids were looking for Nemo, my daughter was pointing and shouting "Tang! Foxface! Trigger!" We made a stop at the LFS today and she took one look at the stock tanks and said "Purple tang!"
Makes me SO proud...

bdhough

firefish, royal grammas, pseudo chromis family, some of the wrasse family(fairy,sixline), cardinal family, dwarf angels, damsel family, hawkfish family, goby family.....
i think thats it. when i say family most any of said family that i can think of will work in that tank. the more you mix and match the more compatible they will be. oh yeah and if you really want a tank then a yellow tang will work in that tank but not much else.

mryg15

would a miniture(dwarf? whatever) yellow tang work with what i named earlier, since they are a smaller species?