Fish Dead (Again!)

t-towntank

I believe that my tank never cycled since set-up. The only ammonia spikes I've ever had were after a fish had sat in the tank dead for several hours. I've never had the usual ammonia goes up, then nitrite, then nitrate.
Tonight the ammonia reading was back to 0. Nitrate and nitrite are also 0.
The water looks clear. Algae growth on rocks and sand seems to have slowed since the lights have been cut down.
What's my next step? Does this tank need to cycle still?

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by T-townTank
http:///forum/post/2774418
I believe that my tank never cycled since set-up. The only ammonia spikes I've ever had were after a fish had sat in the tank dead for several hours. I've never had the usual ammonia goes up, then nitrite, then nitrate.
Tonight the ammonia reading was back to 0. Nitrate and nitrite are also 0.
The water looks clear. Algae growth on rocks and sand seems to have slowed since the lights have been cut down.
What's my next step? Does this tank need to cycle still?
Since you only have the one fish left, can your LFS hold it for you, I truly think you need to start from scratch. If you never had an ammonia spike then your tank never cycled.

dse

Originally Posted by jeanheckle
http:///forum/post/2774421
Since you only have the one fish left, can your LFS hold it for you, I truly think you need to start from scratch. If you never had an ammonia spike then your tank never cycled.
+1
take it back and do a live rock cycle. maybe swap the fish for live rock. thats what i would do in your situation.

99slvr35th

good info.....and t-tank you added way too much fish before your tank cycled, you have to have a spike to achieve a cycled tank, let the tank run and put something hardy or enough LR.

t-towntank

Start from scratch - yuck! But if I have to, I have to.
Current tank contents (75gal tank):
1 lawnmower blenny
numerous snails and crabs
1 cleaner shrimp
5 peppermint shrimp
70lbs live rock
live sand
Do I need to completely empty the tank and literally start over? The money on the rock and sand is down the drain? Can I just continue to run the tank as is until it finally cycles?

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by T-townTank
http:///forum/post/2775231
Start from scratch - yuck! But if I have to, I have to.
Current tank contents (75gal tank):
1 lawnmower blenny
numerous snails and crabs
1 cleaner shrimp
5 peppermint shrimp
70lbs live rock
live sand
Do I need to completely empty the tank and literally start over? The money on the rock and sand is down the drain? Can I just continue to run the tank as is until it finally cycles?
No not at all, your water, rock and sand stay in there. Just take your live animals back to the fish store to keep for you. It really won't take that long. Once animals are out I personally would put a raw shrimp in to speed the process up. That will start your ammonia spike quickly, then when you see ammonia present take the shrimp out, as the ammonia decreases the nitrites will rise. Then nitrates will start to be present. Once ammonia and nitrites are both zero you do a water change. Once Nitrate level is close to zero you put your inverts in and leave them in for about a month. Then start adding fish one at a time with a few weeks in between.