Fish Death

kiharaconn

I purchased a pygmy angel saturday and everything was ok until last night. She was eating and last night had finally come out and was swimming around the tank. When I got home from work I watched her for alittle while then went to take a shower. When I came back she was lying on the sand dead. I watched closely to make sure for several minutes and it was over. The only thing I can think of that might have happened is that she got stung by my foxface. But the foxface is very docile so that surprises me if it did happen.
Any other ideas?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by kiharaconn
I purchased a pygmy angel saturday and everything was ok until last night. She was eating and last night had finally come out and was swimming around the tank. When I got home from work I watched her for alittle while then went to take a shower. When I came back she was lying on the sand dead. I watched closely to make sure for several minutes and it was over. The only thing I can think of that might have happened is that she got stung by my foxface. But the foxface is very docile so that surprises me if it did happen.
Any other ideas?
Best to check your water quality! How big is the tank and how long has it been running? Need your tank readings etc. I haven't heard about foxface stinging other fish unless it was trying to protect itself. Have you notice any signs of disease? Is there enough water circulation and surface agitation? (I HAVE lost fish this way before, they died from LOW oxygenation, one moment swimming, next moment dead, but I don't think this is your case) Sorry to hear about your lost....

kiharaconn

I tested my water friday and everything was ok. I don't have the readings here at work. My sg was alittle low - 1.021 - so I'm slowly working to raise it back up to 1.023. I have a 75 that has been up and running for about 7 months now. It has two power heads and the return pump so I feel there is plenty of oxgyen. I wouldn't think that was it cause all the other fish are ok. I haven't noticed any sign of disease. I have a fox face, royal gramma, fire fish and 2 clownfish, all of which have been in the tank for at least 3 months or more. When I added the angel she went into hiding. She came out to eat every night but would go back to hide after. But last night when I got home she was out swimming around so I thought everything would be ok. Then wham. The fox face started out swimming all over the place and eating out of my hand. then I rearranged the rocks and he'll come out to eat then quickly swims back into hiding. When he does swim around he will flick his barbs up and down. thats why I think it might have been him.

J

jdragunas

it also could be that you just got a bad angel. It could've been sick far before you got it, and this was the end of it's road. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Sorry for your loss!

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by jdragunas
it also could be that you just got a bad angel. It could've been sick far before you got it, and this was the end of it's road. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Sorry for your loss!
That's my second guess... :happyfish

murph

How long was that shower you took? Thats a pretty short time for a fish to just go from exploring the tank to dead on the sand. Even bait fish live longer than that with a hook jammed through there side.
My guess is someone in the tank decided there just wasn't enough room in that town for a pygmy. Any of your other fish have guilty looks on there faces!