Fish dieing not sure why

soccerbo24

Okay well I have had 4 fish die in the last about 4 months not sure why none have shown any weird behavior but when they die I notice the day before them seem to breathe with there mouth open all my level seem to check out but I have some weird stuff in my rocks I wish to ID and also any ideas on how to clean my sand bed

dmanatee

can you help us understand your tank more by posting actual water test numbers, and possibly pictures of the weird stuff on the rocks. Also what size of tank do you have and what type of fish did you/do you have.
"Data...data...we need clay before we can make bricks."

I

innerdragon103

Yea at the very least we need to know about your nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia level. What's the salinity in the tank? As for cleaning the sand bed, the best thing to use in my opinion is a siphoning tube. Any local fish store will have one, no more than $10 for one. I do it every time I do a partial water change. Are your fish eating? What are you feeding them? Need to know what fish did you have - were they compatible with one another? Final thought: do you mix your own saltwater or do you buy it from a fish store? Are you using RO fresh water?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerbo24 http:///t/396799/fish-dieing-not-sure-why#post_3535358
Okay well I have had 4 fish die in the last about 4 months not sure why none have shown any weird behavior but when they die I notice the day before them seem to breathe with there mouth open all my level seem to check out but I have some weird stuff in my rocks I wish to ID and also any ideas on how to clean my sand bed

Hi,

I cleaned my substrate back in the freshwater tank days, since going to saltwater...never again. After over 14 years, I have not ever cleaned my own sand bed unless there was cyanobacteria on it. narssarius, nerite, cerith and turbo snails....with this right combo they take care of the sand bed 100%...a little goby like the Rainfords or Hectors, to do a little sifting if you need a boost besides what the nassarius do...it's all taken care of. Unlike freshwater tanks, the clean up critters actually do their job.

You really do have to actually post the test result numbers for us to be able to help you on why your fish die.