Fish disappearing.

spyderreef

I posted this on the fish discussion a few days ago. I have not had much of a response and I was hoping to get some more views here.
I lost 2 neon gobies and now my yellow tang. No sign of them at all. No body parts, just plain gone. There was no indication that they were even sick. If the fish suddenly died would my maroon clown feed it to my anemones? I have 3 large rose anemones and a long tentacle. I will be getting rid of a couple soon because they take up a lot of room. Also my water perm. indicated that my pH and alk. were low. Are tangs affected by this? The only thing different that I can think of is that I just put some caulerpa in 29 gal as a refugium. I had some of it die off but most of it looks good. Could it have added something toxic? Just searching for answers.

goldrush

Unlikely that the caulerpa caused your problem. How big was the tang? How low was you PH and Alk.? Did you notice your anemones eating or discharging anything? What other livestock do you have? Is there a cover on the tank? Just thinking out loud.

spyderreef

No unusal activity from the anemones. No cover on the tank but I inspected the floor first thing because I have had that happen before. The tang was about two years old and I am guessing a little larger than a silver dollar, second largest fish in my tank.
pH was 7.8 or as low as what my test kit is but is now 8.2
Alk 2.51mil/eq
CA 370

wolffam

I've had fish that would hide for weeks in the rocks. Only feeding at night, because I never saw them. One day their just there. But if it's died inside the rock structure, it'll be disposed of quickly by the cleanup crew. That's what happened to mine in time.

spyderreef

You may be right . It is very possible that my anemone did eat my fish. These anemones have been thriving under my 175 MH's. I have a pair of maroon clowns that take care of them plus I feed them silversides on a regular basis. I have a new 120, with 400 watt MH and actinics, that I have been waiting to stablize (it's only been running two months) before adding the any anemones. I am only keeping one of the roses, the rest are to be sold soon. It is unfortunate I did not get rid of them sooner and I feel terrible about this.