"Fish Discussion" take 1

S

smallreef

depends,,,,,
I like the look of a flame and have been good for me in my aggressive tank,,, so many other possibilities and questions, lol

coralman05

Right!! ik many more questions
but i have a 55 to start.. I like the Flame but might be leaning towards the Coral Beauty( It acts more like bigger angles) I think

S

smallreef

no they shouldnt be in smaller tanks.. i was talking about my 150g aggressive tank and the flame angel did well, lol

slice

I enjoy my Flame. He is the only fish that has been able to keep the Royal Gramma in check. Every few days the Flame goes around to everyone to make sure they still understand the house rules; otherwise he just goes about his business.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman05 http:///t/391166/fish-discussion-take-1#post_3467745
I have alot of hermits and snails a a shrimp that's okay?
I'm not sure what you are asking....Hermits will kill snails for their shells, so if you want to keep both, get extra shells for the hermits. They may still eat the snails, just because they are crabs and crabs are evil little guys. I used to replenish my snails every few years because I kept hermits, and I always made sure they had plenty of extra shells on hand. As for the shrimp...what kind?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman05 http:///t/391166/fish-discussion-take-1#post_3467938
I know you know some tricks one how to work it better.. it has to be better than a sea clone:<
LOL...not much. No bubbles at all in the chamber???? Are you sure the pump is running, hooked up correctly, or the air valve shut not allowing air into the chamber...? Check those out and see if that's why there are no bubbles in the chamber. I will help all I can, but dang I hate those skimmers.

coralman05

Where is the air valve? I really dont want to take it apart but, it looks like i'm going to have to:/ if you help me out i will be

marvelfan

I have a Coralife 65g .. I'm not sure if its the same one, but Its new and I got it up and running about 2-3 weeks ago. It took a lot of tinkering, but now that its running its doing an amazing job of collecting gunk.
On mine there were 2 places to adjust. the first is a valve between the pump (where its pulling in the water) and the housing. It is at the entrance of the pump where the water pulls in that the air tube also pulls in the air to create the bubbles. At first I had no bubbles forming no matter how I adjusted anything, but I came to realize the tip of the pump was loose. (looks like a pointy filter). Once I pressed it in firmly the air started to pull in and create bubbles. I adjusted this valve on the pump until I got a nice froth going in the chamber. After that it was just a matter of adjusting the water/bubble level using the red knob.
If you play around with it you will eventually succeed. I think its a real pain in the ass to get going, but once you do it works great.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman05 http:///t/391166/fish-discussion-take-1#post_3468112
Okk sweet.. i'm going to try to figure it out when i get home.. its never as easy as it sounds
Wishing you luck...
I'm sorry I don't remember details of how the skimmer exacly looks and where all the tweaking spots are, I guess I must have blocked it from my mind.

lcaldwell85

A bit late to chime to two cents in on the fish discussion, but coral beauty all the way. LOL. I mean they're both semi agressive/agressive, but the flame angel (or so I've heard) is amost always delivered with some sort of disease already hiding out and waiting for an appearance. They're considered poor survival fish by a lot of hobbyists as they contract disease and parasites really easily. They're super sensitive to water quality and really easily stressed. I found my coral beauty to acclimate and be almost instantly hardy, as well as a beautiful addition. The only con I can think of is when I have my evening blue lighting on, (especially if you've painted your background black) she can be a bit tough to keep tabs on, being as dark as she is.