fish dont live very long

prime311

Its tough to say if you're tank isn't oxygenated enough, I know theres a meter out there to measure this but I doubt you want to go ut and buy one and I'm not sure an LFS would test for it. Disturbance in the surface area of the top of the water provides oxygenization and the top of your water should efinitely look rippled. A protein skimmer will also provide oxygenization.

dse

hmm it seems theres no skimmer no skimmer killed my first attemp of swf for about 6 months on trot then i stopped and learned a fish safe way then restarted got all equipment and boom i was off with LR the right ammount LS 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch the right sized skimmer lighting heating water movement.
maybe you should stop like i and research for a few months i know it's boring but can be rewarding and still i'm learning and having am uch better time i've been going solid for a year after i stopped again to move and then left it for 2 years but in this year of swf i have had only 1 death caused by me 1 jumper death and one missing (i'm classing it as dead) but apart from that it's been a better experiance and all my fish are growing nicely.