fish dying????

wonderfulinwyo

I've had my tank about for months now and everything is going get except I can't keep any fish alive. I have a star fish,a coral banded prawn,crabs and snails and they are doing great.
So what am I doing wrong? They live for a few days and then die. At first I had to damsels to start the cycle and they did good. All my test of the water show everything thing is fine. Please help!!! Any ideas?

carorella88

What other fish have you had?? How did they behave before they died,,, also, what were you feeding?? Are any tank inhabitants toxic???

wamp

The big question is are they showing signs of disease or stress? Do they have white dots? Buldging eyes? Any signs of sickness?

panhead

could be the source that your lfs gets them from
perhaps they are caught useing cyanide, I am told that this is stored in a fishes tissue and only
metabolized if the fish has not eaten for some time, are they all (the fish) comming from the same lfs?

wonderfulinwyo

I have tried a couple butterfly fish and some more damsels(because the are cheap) and they do good for a few days and then they start acting like they can't get any air. No signs of disease. Why would this happen now after my tqank has went through all the cycle. The first damsels i had did great,I traded them for the butterflys.All I have in my tank is what I already said. I have a skimmer,double filter and two DC's. Live sand and rock. ?????

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Give us some info regarding your system and the filtration that you are using. What acclimation procedures do you use on your fish?

frankl15207

If you can't keep damsels alive, stay away from butterflies. They aren't easy for experienced saltwater fishkeepers and need excellent water conditions and well established tanks.
What are your levels for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, specific gravity?
What specific gravity does your LFS keeps their tanks at?

wonderfulinwyo

I forgot I had scooter blennies too,for a couple of months. Then they just died too,no sign of disease. Anyway I think it might be my ph. I'm going to get a ph stabalizer and see what that does. My LFS keeps her SG between 1.023-1.020,same as me. My ammonia is 0,nitrate is 0,and my nitrite is 0. The test kit I have olny goes within so much of the test,so if it is higher or lower it won't show it,so I think it is high.I don't know what else it could be. Thanks for all your help everybody and i will let you know if i figure it all out. Any more ideas send them my way.TC