fish euthanasia?

nicole

Does anyone know how to quickly and humanely kill a suffering fish? My fish are fine but I know they can suffer for days before actually dying. Just want to be prepared.

coop21

Assisted suicide? Sounds like a job for Dr. Jack Kivorkian!!! I hate to see fish suffer. Maybe they'll have a bag big enough for me so they can just throw me into the freezer when the time comes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

grouperhead

yes, if you want the quickest, fastest way, it wont be pretty. i hate to see a fish suffer, and in my 10 years of fish keeping have had to euthanize several fish. it is a rather unpretty site but the fastest most painless way possible. but i have but fish in the freezer also, i just dont think it is as painless as "the other way". as i said im not going to get into the details on the board as sammy said you can figure your own methods for it. i have also read that there are some sort of drops that you drop into the bag with a fish and it kills them easily and painless. havent seen them though. later, bo

pufferlover

Two ways I have read about and aren't to crude are putting the fish in seltzer water and taking a sharp razor blade and severing the head (ouch! don't think I'd do that one). I have used the freezing method as it is the least stressful on me. Now one other I read about and to this day I have to laugh at the thought of anyone trying this is to slap the fish against a hard object (book suggested bathtub). No one wants to do this any more then putting down a family pet but in some cases you have no alternative but I for one have never felt right for a few days afterwards.