fish feeding

julius

I am going out of town for a couple of days, and I was just wondering long long can fish go w/o eating. I have a 29gal mine reef,55gal FO, a 10gal fresh, and a 38galFOWLR. I just want to know would they be alright w/o food for awhile.

hondo

depends on the type of fish you keep but for the most part 2 or 3 days with no food will be no problem. I usually only feed my reefs 3 times a week so once a week they go two days without feeding.

julius

29gal reef just one lawnmower blenny the rest inverts and corals, the 55gal 2 triggers humu/niger and a wrasse and the 38gal bi-color angel, damsels and 2 yellow gobys. 10gal fresh just a couple of tetras and danios.

cb

I don't know anything about the triggers, but everything else should probably go 2 days without food.

jumpfrog

2-3 days is no problem. I've done it on several occassions and I have all my tanks "fast" at least once a week.

beaslbob

When i go on vacation for 1-2 weeks, I just leave my fresh and salt Tanks alone. There have been absolutely no loss of fish in established tanks for 1 week absenses. And on a couple of times I was gone for two weeks with no loss of fish. All that happened was the tanks were a lot cleaner when I got back.

julius

thanks 4 all the input, but i have one more ? the lights should I leave them on or off. I dont have a timer most of my lights consist of PC's and NO flour.

nm reef

A few days without feeding would not be a serious problem....but going without light may be. I always have somebody come by to check my water levels and look things over when I'm away. Actually my father-in-law likes to care for my systems when we are gone. You could easily get a few timers to turn your lights on/off and try to find somebody you trust to top-off and check things once in a while.

i dont no i spoil my fish:D when im gone for more than 2 days i pay my cousin (fish expert) 20 bucks to come here and feed them

beaslbob

Originally posted by JULIUS
thanks 4 all the input, but i have one more ? the lights should I leave them on or off. I dont have a timer most of my lights consist of PC's and NO flour.

I would put the lights on a timer.

jumpfrog

Invest in some timers. Especially for the reef. Of more concern than food is salinity. 2 weeks without a topoff could be tragic.