fish food

R

rkhlk

I'm curious.... I have 2 damsels and 2 clowns and 1 basslet in my tank and they love whatever i feed them I usaully feed frozen brine shrimp and maybe once a week give them flake food but when I go to the LFS they have all kinds of stuff.. is there a good treat i can give them or something i should be giving them in their regular diet?
rkhlk

ejensen

I would feed them a variety of food. Brime, myst, and both types of frozen prep food. I don't feed them flakes because I think the frozen foods are much better.

brians

So brine shrimp makes up the majority of their diet? If so, that is probably not a good idea. Brine shrimp has very little nutritional value. It's kinda like if you would just eat candy everyday of your life.
I feed mostly flakes and then give some frozen brine/mysis/etc. as a treat. I also make sure my tangs and other herbivorous fish get their veggies by putting in some seaweed sheets a couple times a week.

R

rkhlk

you think that the flake food is better fo them? I tried giving them something once called seawed salad once they avoided it like the cancer i thought that the brine shrimp would be better. what should i give them on a daily basis?
rkhlk

brians

I use a quality flake food (Formula One) that contains many different types of seafoods and algaes which include plankton, squid, krill, clams, kelp, herring, and brine(all of which are found in the ocean) along with extra vitamins and immune boosters. At the very least it is still way better than brine alone. Brine shrimp have little to no nutrional value unless it is fortified with spirulina or omega3.
I think the key is variety. I have about 6 different kinds of frozen foods that I feed along with the flake.