Fish for my 125

bterry29

I'm looking for comments from the below list of fish I would like to put in my 125. It is currently FOWLR but eventually it will be a reef. I'm trying to plan ahead with the fish so I don't have to remove any later. I'd also like to know about order of introduction into the tank if anyone would care to comment. I'm still undecided on these so please don't think I'm going to put ALL of these in my tank. It is what I've narrowed my list down to.
Angels
Elibi Angel
Coral Beauty
Vermiculated
Tangs
Blue Hippo Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Gold Rim Tang
Kole Tang
Clowns
Oscellaris
Sebae
Basslet
Chalk
Anthias
Red Fairy
Carberryi
Butterfly
Lemon
Hawkfish
Flame
There isn't a top on the tank so I don't want any jumpers. If you see any in my list that are please say so. I've tried to do the research but could have missed one that jumps. Thanks for any comments.

guineawhop

out of your list if it was my tank i will tell you what i would put in there and what order from first to last:
1 ocellaris clowns
2 coral beauty(i would rather have singapore angel but i have bad experience with these)
3 flame
4 lemon butterfly
5 chalk
6 blonde naso make sure tank is mature for this guy
7 red fairy

gati

you can't have a hawfish if you are going to have any inverts, but they are awesome fish.
here are my pics:
coral beauty, blonde naso(i just got one and love it), oscellaris clown, butterfly and red fairy anthias.
i would add your tang last and the butterfly next to last-they need a well established tank.
also, side note: coral beauty sometimes pick at corals, not badly, but some do.
check to see if you need mulitple anthias. some speices prefer to be kept in groups of 3, not sure if they are one of them.

bterry29

Thanks for the thoughts. Nobody selected the hippo or the gold rim tang. Is that because they are difficult to keep, not reef safe, or just not your favorite?
Anybody else want to add comments?

nicetry

Skip the butterfly if you're going reef eventually. The naso will outgrow the system within a few years as well. Kole tangs are very nice fish. Any of the angels on your list are a gamble but coral beauties have a fair track record in terms of reef safety. Personally, I'd look at some of the genicanthus family angels. Reef safe and often available in m/f pairs.

guineawhop

a 125 gallon is not too small for a naso. it will never out grow it. the genicanthus angels are very hard to take care of except the lamarks, but that one is nothing special to look at. he's better off with a coral beauty.

nicetry

Originally posted by guineawhop
a 125 gallon is not too small for a naso. it will never out grow it. the genicanthus angels are very hard to take care of except the lamarks, but that one is nothing special to look at. he's better off with a coral beauty.

I disagree on all points. A full grown naso needs an exceptionally large tank. While it would be fine for a few years, long term a 125 simply is not going to be large enough.
Genis are not difficult given good tank conditions, like most angels.

ucdpike2001

Not to question your fine judgement but most 125 are only 14inch deep. Naso can obtain a size of 18inch in the wild and more like 13 inch in an aquarium.
So how do you except a full grown naso to turn around in an aquarium thats only 14inch deep?
Just some food for thought....

guineawhop

Originally posted by nicetry
I disagree on all points. A full grown naso needs an exceptionally large tank. While it would be fine for a few years, long term a 125 simply is not going to be large enough.
Genis are not difficult given good tank conditions, like most angels.

these angels need a 135 max. do you realize that fish in the wild have very small territories. if you don't you should do some reading then. that genus of angel is also very hard to take care of except the lamarks angel. the others like the blackspot is rated a 3 and the wantanabe's angel is rated a 2 out of a 5, 5 being the hardiest. so how could you say that they are easy to take care of. they suffer from swim bladder damage or you didn't know that either. books help us learn things.

ucdpike2001

these angels need a 135 max. do you realize that fish in the wild have very small territories. books help us learn things.

Now when you say 135 max do you really mean min because i have never heard of a max. Im pretty sure the word max aquarium size does relate to sw fish keeping. I will just assume you agree that a 125 is too small....

books help us learn things.

Maybe you should try reading more then one book. All i can say is one word A r r o g a n t.

guineawhop

i may be arrogant but that's because i'm right and i do not just read one book i have several. not to mention subscriptions to magazines like reef fish and tropical fish. these guys do not need anything bigger than a 135 gallon you can put them in a bigger tank of course but they don't need it. in the wild like i said they have very small territories.

ucdpike2001

i may be arrogant but that's because i'm right and i do not just read one book i have several. not to mention subscriptions to magazines like reef fish and tropical fish. these guys do not need anything bigger than a 135 gallon you can put them in a bigger tank of course but they don't need it. in the wild like i said they have very small territories.

So you agree then that a 125 is too small? Or could i put one in a 75? You said, "These guys do not need anything bigger than a 135." A naso would be pretty happy in a 75 gal because they have small territories, right? Im sorry but i just do not see your logic. You may want to squeeze in some communication books in addition to your countless fish books.
Does anyone else find he's statement odd? Come on i know there is someone out there with me.

guineawhop

Originally posted by ucdpike2001
So you agree then that a 125 is too small? Or could i put one in a 75? You said, "These guys do not need anything bigger than a 135." A naso would be pretty happy in a 75 gal because they have small territories, right? Im sorry but i just do not see your logic. You may want to squeeze in some communication books in addition to your countless fish books.
Does anyone else find he's statement odd? Come on i know there is someone out there with me.

when did i ever talk about a 75 gallon. and just because i said bigger than a 135 does not mean that his 125 isn't good for the tang. obviously you would not be able to put them in a 75. there is a big difference between a 125 and a 75 and you talk about logic?

ucdpike2001

when did i ever talk about a 75 gallon. and just because i said bigger than a 135 does not mean that his 125 isn't good for the tang. obviously you would not be able to put them in a 75. there is a big difference between a 125 and a 75 and you talk about logic?

It is called over exemplifying a point. You need to learn how to write because you do not make any sense. When you give a fish, a tank size limitation, you talk in terms of a minimum not maximum. I have been trying to get you to say minimum (get it!). Ok, you think a naso can live in a 125 then you say its minimum tank size requirements are a 125. The best thing you can say is its max is a 135 (which is the dumbest thing I have heard. Your how old? I am sure there are some 14 year olds on this site who know more then you). Followed by stating it would be happy in a 125. Who knows, if we keep arguing you may just tell me you can keep a naso in a 100 or better yet a 90 (note: you need at least and this is at a very minimum a 135 for a naso. not a 125 like you think) . Furthermore, all the books, magazines, and whatever else you pretend to read give a general guideline of what the minimum tank size that is needed. You can ask anyone on this site and they will tell you the same. I will be waiting for your rebuttal. Please make it good. I could really use a laugh. Thank you for being a 23 year old waste of space.
Ps. if you haven’t figured it out just use proper etiquette (hint: minimum)

guineawhop

first of all what the hell does age have to do with anything and by the way you act you could very well be 12. second of all 10 gallons of water is not gonna make a difference from a 125 to a 135 as far as space goes. so for you feel better how's this MINIMUM of 125. you can stop crying now.
i'm just curious how long have you been into this hobby because you sure as hell need to learn a few more things.

j5aliv

ucdpike2001 i'm sorry to say but you are wrong and i agree with guineawhop. you are acting like a child. your whole arguement is he doesn't say minimum. he is completely right. it is not necessary to get anything bigger than a 125 for these fish. he is also right that they have small territories in the wild and if you did read books about fish you would know this. the difference between a 125 and a 135 is practically nothing and if this guy wants to put it in there it IS ok. just because ur a med student does not make you an expert on fish. not that i know he is i don't know him from anyone else on this forum, but i have no problems with anything he said.
guineawhop good job

ucdpike2001

first of all what the hell does age have to do with anything and by the way you act you could very well be 12. second of all 10 gallons of water is not gonna make a difference from a 125 to a 135 as far as space goes. so for you feel better how's this MINIMUM of 125. you can stop crying now.
i'm just curious how long have you been into this hobby because you sure as hell need to learn a few more things.

I am just having fun pissing you off! And if i am acting like a kid, thats great because i am a big kid.