Fish from *****

ryanlee

Has anyone here purchased fish from *****? I was at one of their stores a few days back and saw their fish they were selling, and most of them looked to be in pretty poor condition.

sea horse

I'v never bought fish from my local ***** because all their fish were sick. I'm sure that some locations have decent fish though. :happyfish But the location near me has horrible fish. Fortunatly for me there are lots of other LFS near me. :joy:

pacino

i wouldnt recommend it. most people here would agree. there was one person on here who said they were good once. but i havent seen a ***** yet that had healthy fish. stick with just getting supplies, they have good prices on some stuff. but find a good lfs and stick with them. cause ***** has to many other animal priorities (cats, dogs, birds ).to worry about there saltwater fish.

ryanlee

Luckily, there is a good LFS near where I live that deals in saltwater fish, but little more expensive. But it's probably worth it, thier stock seemed to be more healthy.

mag395

I got 2 damsels from there and I still have them. I've had them for 3 months with no problems. But I wouldn't get anything that was more expensive there because their fish usually look like {edit}.

O

oreo12

I have bought fish from our pet co I have 7 fish swiming in my 3 tanks that have came from *****. I have only lost one due to un known reasons I had 1 niger trigger swim into a power head to hide and well I am sure you can figuer out what happened to it I replaced the power heads and the triger. I had one puffer die but the rest of my fish have done real well. I will buy from them again.

reef diver

:hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious Youve got to be kidding me to say the least *****, dont go. I was at the one nearest me, and half of their tanks had dead fish floating on top. Must have been a bad day. But yes usually their fish dont look healthy

ophiura

If you do a search for "*****" on this board, you will see that this topic comes up nearly every week. Probably 80% of the responses are strongly negative.
But that does not mean that your ***** will be bad. Some are definitely OK. Use your judgement. If the fish don't seem healthy, then don't buy from there.

But not every ***** is extremely bad.

shrimpdady

Oh God.....not another ***** bashing thread.

I just now got over the last one!

Some ***** stores suck and some aren't that bad.
Surely ***** isn't the only store out there with unhealthy fish.
Hopefully this thread will die a quick death and no one will start another one about ***** for a looooooooooong time.

ophiura

Originally Posted by ShrimpDady
Hopefully this thread will die a quick death and no one will start another one about ***** for a looooooooooong time.

So I'm not the only one who feels this way!! :cheer:

ryanhayes9

actually the guy thta runs the aquatic section is really nice and has a 125 gallon reef.
the fish are doind good most of the time meaning an occasional case of ich.
he really tries to take care fo them and gets new animals all the time
i was thinking about the new vtail grouper they just got!

alyssia

Originally Posted by ophiura
So I'm not the only one who feels this way!! :cheer:

Oph, you are not the only one!!!

ophiura

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
i was thinking about the new vtail grouper they just got!

Not for the 29g reef, right??

jdinger29

I don't know if all PetCos follow the same schedule or not but the two by me get saltwater fish every Tuesday. One has a very competent person that takes very good care of the fish and the other has someone new every Tuesday and they don't usually know anything... I still haven't bought any fish from them but I might consider buying from the one with the competent manager...

S

sinner's girl

I bought my clowns from there, the local pet store is over priced and never has anything small, only big fish it seems. WHen I bought the clowns, ***** had the best price and fish all appeared healthy active.
***** currently has a survay, call and save $2 on your next purchanse. it's helped with all the sand I've been buying (they only ever had 2-3 bags in stock). and the last time I was there I got 20% off all three bags since there was a hole in each bag (as there had been in all the bags I bought before then).
Surely ***** isn't the only store out there with unhealthy fish.
Nope, I've see othes, including walmart, walmart ime, is worst than *****. AND ***** tends to mislabel fish/inverts, give bad info and such (currently there is serpents star labeled as a brittle star, they don't like it when you correct them so I've stopped. I get my water tested there and buy dry good, salt, sand, food, ect (local place doesn't always have food).