"Fish Handlers Disease"-How common.

D

daniel411

Has anyone ever had "fish handlers disease"? Just curious. Doesn't seem to common.

robchuck

I read an article about it recently. Email me at robhartmann@NOSPAMameritech.net (remove NOSPAM) for the link to the article.
From what I understand, it's a microbacteria that enters your body through an open wound or deep scratch. The bacteria essentially causes a deposit to form beneath the skin. It can be treated with antibiotics, but it takes several months to cure. There are some nasty photos of one case in the article I refer to. I've used gloves any time I go in the tank after reading that article.

katara

Is the end result a growth that looks like a wart?If so, I had it about two years ago.It was completely unresponsive to any treatments..my Dr. referred me to a dermatologist who finally told me I had contracted in via an open wound from my tank..I forget what it was called but it was unsightly and quite painful..I still don't use gloves unless I have a cut.I hate to buy into the hype,like the whole "toxic Zo" thing.

elfdoctors

I saw your post but initially assumed that you were talking about diseases in fish that had been handled. I had never heard the term, fish-handler's disease before, but there are definitely bacterial infections which can be transmitted to humans. I have not seen the article you describe. Most of these infections are caused by different species of vibrio bacteria (esp. v. vulnificus and v. parahaemolyticus). I have no idea how frequent these are. I have never seen a case before (I am far from saltwater in WI and there are only 2-3 tanks in the county). Some of these can be severe but I believe most are mild.
Based on the lack of threads on this subject, I don't think it is very common. I put my hands in the water (as long as they are clean, I am usually more worried about me hurting the fish (soap residues) than I am about the fish hurting me). Usually saltwater in an open cut burns enough that you stop further exposure. However, I would make sure that your physician knows about any nonhealing wounds on the hands and knows that you have a saltwater tank. Tetracyclines seem to be the best treatment which is different from many other typical skin infections.

robchuck

The case I referred to in my earlier post was a reefer who cut his finger working on his tank, and was diagnosed with Mycobacterium marinum. Surgery was required to remove a 5cm granuloma from the reefer's finger. I have only heard of one other case besides the one's mentioned in the article. Even so, I'll still be extra cautious everytime I stick my hands in the tank; both for my safety, and the safety of the livestock.

katara

Rob that's exactly what I had although my GP originally thought it was a Pyogenic Granuloma..Good to know the diagnosis again,Thanks!

katara

As for the Palytoxins in the zo's..those zo's are not available for hobbiests..the reactions reported from fellow reefers are from those that have an allergenic reaction.

stillfrodo

You can have an allergic reaction from the zo's. Numbness in hands and it can spread if you fail to wash your hands then eat and touch your face.
Bottom line is they should be handled with care. It is a toxin and can build up in your body over time. You can have a reaction even if oyu have never had one before.

stillfrodo

Better watch Al-QUEADA might have a bio terror attack with zoonoids. So if somebody is stopped over the canadien border with hundreds of salt water tanks beware. LOL

ryebread

Originally posted by Katara
As for the Palytoxins in the zo's..those zo's are not available for hobbiests..the reactions reported from fellow reefers are from those that have an allergenic reaction.

You should ask Bang Guy about how sick he got from them.

the claw

Or ask me. I got knocked on my butt. I was ripping a bounch out of my tank and was exposed to enough slime that I felt high as a kite. I would guess it to be like a bad trip.

bbreaux1

i dont know if its ever occured in saltwater tanks because of all the water movement but i know in stagnent or slow moving water theres a flesh eating bacteria that makes some pretty nasty wounds. saw some pics of it in a fishing magazine the stuff ate half of the guys hand up.

D

daniel411

Yep, after reading up on it some more. I may add some gloves to my aquarium box. I'm just glad it doesn't happen that often. I've cut myself many times handleing live rock, being pricked by bristel worms, etc.

elguapo

ok thats scary as hell but as long as you cant die from it im not going to worry too much. i will still invest in some really thick gloves just in case.
-g

the claw

Those are the ones. I thought it would be cool to have them in the back of my tank where I couldn't see. I fragged a bunch of colonies and they spread. I decided to remove a bunch of them. They always squish and let off a whole bunch of mucous that sticks to your fingers. The next thing I know.......

lesleybird

Fish handlers disease? Yea, I think I have had ich a couple of times. You know, those white spots on your face? Seen a lot of fish handlers with it!

lovethesea

Originally posted by Melody
hehehe...Carole ~ You know I'm whining again about file size. ;) After resizing these shots to fit here they look like crap...blah :p

OH no they don't!! :) That 2nd one is great;)