fish i am getting for 55 gal

rudedog40

Originally Posted by WangoTango
Nobody said it was a crime against humanity to keep a tang in a 48" long tank, many people have successfully done it, but even more haven't. There are some that may be fine, like the smaller bristle-tooth tangs, and the scopas tang. The majority of the tangs can grow to be a foot long or more, so if a fish has only 3-4x its body length to swim back and forth, and 1-1.5x its body length to turn around is that really a nice environment? So imo yes, the extra couple feet does matter. In the wild tangs don't circle around a rock formation picking at the algae, they school from location to location.
As hobbyists it is our job to provide the most natural environment possible for our fish, and space is part of a tang's habitiat. Yes anyone can argue that taking such fish out of the ocean and putting them into a 8',10', or 20' tank still doesn't compare to the ocean, it is still better than keeping them in a tank only 3x their length. If you don't think that any size tank is suitable for any fish, then you're probably in the wrong hobby.
-Justin

If you own a tang in a tank smaller than what the "experts" call for, follow the suggestions of my LFS - by the smallest size of that species you can find. When you see the tang start to stress as they get larger (swim spoadically, breathe heavier, etc), pull them out and take them back to your LFS. Mine will take one on consignment, and when it sells, I get store credit to buy something else. Most LFS's have the small Blue Hippo's that are less than 1" long. Based on what I've read, it will take a tang that size over two years to outgrow a 55g tank. If you're not the type of person that gets emotionally attached to your 'pets', then I see no harm in getting one if that's the fish you enjoy to watch. Blame it on the Nemo movie.

wangotango

Originally Posted by srfisher17
No argument there! ALL fish will do better in large tanks. Wait until the nano tank police come along!Its not so much the tang argument that I disagree with; its the TELLING other hobbiests what they can and can't do. I do everything possible to provide the best environment for my fish--but I would never put another hobbiest on a guilt trip because they choose to do something I don't approve of. If someone has a 55 gal tank and wants a hippo tang; lets give him the best advice we can and let him make the decision--then wish him well. If he wants to spend his money and keep the fish, arguably, for a little less time in a 55 than he would have in a 125...so what? One thing I did learn long ago; don't feed tangs to your kids, they taste like romaine lettuce.

I agree that beating opinions into people until they submit isn't the way to do it. I try to be as informative as possible versus "You can't have a tang so there
", (hopefully I didn't come off like that).
-Justin

S

smartorl

No one nailed this guy to a cross after he bought the fish, they gave their opinions to NOT have the tangs in a 55 before he bought them, some even offering alternative fish to round off the list. This person has the option to see that it may not be ideal before he purchased them. He did not come here with three tangs in a 55 and want advice, he came here for input on a livestock list. If he reads the suggestions and decides to leave one or more of those tangs off the list then the fish win.
Personally, I feel that keeping a tang in a small tank is like stuffing a Greyhound into a small closet, it will fit but how happy is an animal that is made to run?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by smartorl
No one nailed this guy to a cross after he bought the fish, they gave their opinions to NOT have the tangs in a 55 before he bought them, some even offering alternative fish to round off the list. This person has the option to see that it may not be ideal before he purchased them. He did not come here with three tangs in a 55 and want advice, he came here for input on a livestock list. If he reads the suggestions and decides to leave one or more of those tangs off the list then the fish win.
Personally, I feel that keeping a tang in a small tank is like stuffing a Greyhound into a small closet, it will fit but how happy is an animal that is made to run?
Please re-read the posts on this thread; it might be me, but the language in some of them sure sound like "orders" rather than suggestions.

S

smartorl

I would have to say that the interpretation depends upon where the reader stands on the issue.
I did reread and didn't see anyone being overly harsh, quite the contrary.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by smartorl
I would have to say that the interpretation depends upon where the reader stands on the issue.
I did reread and didn't see anyone being overly harsh, quite the contrary.
I can see your point. But an "IMO', a "I'd suggest", or "I think" would make a newbie feel more like they were being helped, rather than commanded. I'll also admit to being too touchy on the subject and liking to " stir the pot' And, I'm still waiting for the Nano Police!