Fish ID Please

skipper

Found him at the gulf shore line for my natural saltwater tank. What is he and is he easy to maintain? Thanks

mscarpena

I am not sure, but it looks like some sort of a look down jack. They get very large and are not the best or the easiest aquarium fish. If I were you I would let him go and stick to buying stuff from fish stores. Some stuff is illegal to remove from the ocean. Also you should not take anything you do not know what it is. It might harm you or other things in your aquarium. Good luck

ci11337

I believe that is a juvi lookdown, It should be easy to feed and care for but it will get to big someday. You can just release it once it gets to big. Yes everyone it is perfectly legal to catch, keep, and release native fishes.(All you need is a fishing license)

ci11337

He shouldn't be to hard to feed, but he will get pretty big. When i was down in Florida i tried to catch some fish for my tank. (yes everyone it is perfectly legal to catch, keep, and release native fish, snails, crabs, etc.) But i couldn't find any type of small species. Every thing i saw would get to over a foot.

skipper

Yes I know, I have been keeping an all "Natural" saltwater 55 gallon tank for quite some time now, Everything comes right out of the gulf, Nothing store bought, Blennies, Angle fish, File fish, Ghost shrimp, pipe fish, and plants.ect..... Walking the beach in knee deep water with a net and bucket adds to the fun of keeping the tank. Nice to find these small ones. Everything does so well with no quarintine and only have to do a 3 gallon swap out water change once a month or so to keep the water nitrates and levels good. Thanks for the ID. I found 2 more.

jawdubb

That makes me wish I lived near the coast, I would love to have a native and natural tank. Good luck with yours.

mr.clownfish

U PEOPLE ARE SOOOOOO LUCKY!!!!!!!!
i wanna do a natural saltwater tank tooooooo!!!!
but im no where near the gulf of mexico!!!!