Fish ID

nc saltfan

OK cool, Do you know if there are any restrictions or regulations on collecting tropical fish like this in NC?

sebae09

Common Name: Foureye / Mock-eye Butterflyfish
Species Name: Chaetodon capistratus Linnaeus, 1758
Range: Western Atlantic Ocean: West Indies and throughout the Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico
Size: up to 6 inches (15 cm)
Natural Environment: Inhabit shallow areas over rich coral growths in depths between 3 to 60 feet (1 - 20 m)
General Husbandry: Has a temperature range of 70 - 82°F (21 - 28°C) and natural diet consists of gorgonians, tunicates, worms, and crustaceans. Does well in the aquarium on fortified brine shrimp, fresh fish flesh and clam meat. Requires numerous feedings per day. A common butterflyfish and very hardy. Provide a rocky environment with numerous open caves and coral rubble.

jasonmarc

I've read that those are very finicky eaters... is that true?
Just curious - b/c I saw several small ones (maybe 1.5-2") at a LFS for a very low price - and wondered about butterflies under $12 lol
Anyone know much about them?

nc saltfan

The one shown in the picture above loved brine shrimp, but he didn't last long in my tank, I asked my mom to feed my fish for me one morning and a week later when i got around to feeding that type of food again, I found out she put enough food in the tank for them live off of for a month, so by that time it was to late to save them
. However I think I'm going to try and catch another one next summer. I also had what i think was a juvenile french angel fish but my tube anemone mad short work of him.