Fish in the overflow

wax32

This is my overflow:

Overflow
Today I discovered 2 fish in it. One was the blenny that went missing yesterday and the other was the spotted mandarin that went missing a month ago.
Anyone have an easy solution that wouldn't involve cutting black acrylic to fit that would keep the fish from jumping back in there? The durso pipe and the return both stick up above the lip of the overflow box. So I can't just lay something across it.

bigarn

How about some plastic screening .... won't have to be a tailor made cut .. just some slits to fit around the pipes.

wax32

Ooh, like window screen? That could work!
Then I guess I could use some plastic clamps, like algae clips to hold it in place! I like it!

dogstar

I just lay styrofoam over mine. Keeps the light out so algae does not grow on the grooves and inside. I guess it stops fish from jumping in to. If they do jump on it then you want something that they can get back off of and back into water. A screen may get hung up on somehow. The roll of mesh is called Gutter Gaurd from home depo in the roofing area and cost $5 a roll. Perfect for makeing a screen.

wax32

Hmm, that looks good. I ended up cutting up a fish net:

Overflow
I figure I'll find some all plastic clips/clamps. The paper clips are temporary.

I think I have some styrofoam boxes out in the shed from a fish shipment. I might try to cut some of that and see if I like it better.

fishieness

if i were you, id have something pointing down on and angle into the tank like the roof of a house. cause if fish keep jumping in there, now they aer jumping on dry land. if you have something pointing down, at least now they will bounce or roll back into the tank.
just an idea

wax32

The net is sorta down into the water in my case so they would flop around and then stay in the net in the overflow, better than nothing. A sloped surface would be ideal though.

speg

I used to get a chromis in mine every morning.. now they finally wised up..
One day I noticed two anemones and a twin spot (yes.. how the twin spot got in there is beyond me) in there............. weird fish.

wax32

Gracias! My dog gets more compliments. He is a star at the print lab where my wife gets photos printed (she's a pro photographer for a local studio), the studio, and at his veteranarian. Pictures everywhere, yeesh!